Neon Tetra gone over night one!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SarMay

AC Members
Jul 26, 2020
So, we just got a new aquarium and our fish were added yesterday evening. We got four neon Tetras, two angelfish, one little 1-2” catfish, and two little orange guys (still new to this so I'm not sure of the exact names).
Everything seemed fine yesterday, but woke up today and all three tetras are missing. I'm so confused and sad! What could have happened??

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Sorry but it won't be the last neon you'll loose; angelfish are notorious for eating them.

SarMay

AC Members
Jul 26, 2020
Sorry but it won't be the last neon you'll loose; angelfish are notorious for eating them.
Good to know. Our angelfish are still small, and the lady at the place we got them said they would all get along.
Like, the neons were just laying dead at the bottom, they don't look touched....weird.

SarMay

AC Members
Jul 26, 2020
Did you also get the aquarium yesterday, how did you cycle the tank?
We had the aquarium cycling for a full day with Stress Coat, and Stress Zyme. Temperature is where it should be. All the other fish seems fine.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I'm afraid you were lied to, you can't cycle a tank like that. You need used filter media or at least bottled bacteria for that. Do you have any live plants, and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kits?

SarMay

AC Members
Jul 26, 2020
I'm afraid you were lied to, you can't cycle a tank like that. You need used filter media or at least bottled bacteria for that. Do you have any live plants, and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kits?
I have three live plants. Definitely no test kits, wasn't told anything about that. The stuff I put in, one says it's to clean tap water ammonia and other stuff in the tap water, the other is to help keep the tank clean. Sorry I'm not home so I can't get you the exact uses for them.
I am just disappointed.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I'm sorry you were lied to but unfortunately this happens more often as not. Employees will tell you anything as long as you buy something. Like there is no animal or product that will keep your tank clean. Fish excrete ammonia and this is toxic for them. A nitrifying bacteria culture needs to be established first and foremost so they can be safe. Live plants will help, but as they often don't sell the right plants used filter media or substrate is better. With the test kits can be determined when the tank is cycled and when it is safe for fish. Right now it is not. Do a 25% waterchange when you get home. The best would be to get like a cup of filter media or gravel from an established tank and put that in your tank. Ask questions here, there are many helpful folks here to answer them.
There are probably other issues as well besides the neon/angel incompatibility (neons need to be in schools 8+) just like the catfish, which may or may not grow larger as your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store