Nervous Guppies???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
Hello. I just transferred six fancy guppies from my well established 10 gallon to a new 20 gallon long. I used the gravel, the rocks and hornwort from the previous tank. I have both the old and new biowheel filters hanging on the back of the new 20 gallon. I waited until the water was at the same temp as the 10gallon and the pH. I scooped the 6 guppies with a plastic container and submerged it in the new.

it is night. The guppies seem to be really stressed and distressed. They are darting up and down the ends of the tank at the corners almost frantically. I covered the back and side walls with a towel as I think they were looking at their reflections. They have twice as much space now with a 30 inch long tank. I am worried about them killing themselves from stress. Any ideas?

Thank you very much for your thoughts. Oh and the water parameters have not changed one iota. negative for ammonia and nitrites.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Nobody likes change. I hope all you're seeing is the guppies getting used to their new home after the trauma of catching them however gently. Do you have a lid on the tank?

I can't think of what you could have done better, give them a few days to adjust. Fingers crossed for your fish. Let us know how they are tomorrow...maybe leave their tank light off for a day or 2 & feed very lightly, nothing new that might be scary.

Reactions: nellafantasia

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah maybe dechlorinator or different conductivity? Or have you used the same water they were in. In that case they will have settled down by now.

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
Nobody likes change. I hope all you're seeing is the guppies getting used to their new home after the trauma of catching them however gently. Do you have a lid on the tank?

I can't think of what you could have done better, give them a few days to adjust. Fingers crossed for your fish. Let us know how they are tomorrow...maybe leave their tank light off for a day or 2 & feed very lightly, nothing new that might be scary.
They actually calm down when I sit next to the tank. They have calmed down some. Still, one or the other fish will madly dash from bottom to top, especially in the corners. Do some fish like to play in bubbles? I would say they have calmed down by 60%. Thanks for your thoughts.

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
Yeah maybe dechlorinator or different conductivity? Or have you used the same water they were in. In that case they will have settled down by now.
I have well water and I have used bottled water too. I used lots of water from their old tank. There is no chlorinating at my place. They seem to use the extra space to do that bobbing up and down thing.

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019

I have a cover, yes. Except at the very back to allow for hanging both penguin filters.

Could a one degree increase in heat make the fish restless?

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
OP, don't worry about the 'surfing', my fish do the same and never ever anything bad has happened. Don't worry about a thing, leave them to themselves and let them grow used to their new environment.
Thank you for your thoughts. I think they are doing better now. They now have double the space they had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store