New 10G tank planted and running

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
East Central Indiana, USA
Warning! Aquatic Soil Toxic to Aquarium Fish

Here's a heads-up...recently bought a bag of Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil, which is designed for planting in ponds, since it says on the bag 'does not affect pH' and 'harmless to fish' I assumed it would be safe to put in my 29g planted tank and also in one of my 10g planted tanks (containing a lone male betta splendens).

here's the site about the soil:

http://www.schultz.com/ProductCategories/Soilsamendments/AquaticPlantSoil/

Within 24 hours I had lost a zebra fish...tested the water paramaters - Nitrites were off the scale...using my API Freshwater Master Test Kit.:eek:

I had to strip down the tanks, remove the layer of soil entirely (what a PITA, as it was sitting atop sand and peat), do a 100% water change for both tanks. It took me hours.

Now several days later, all is back to normal. Lost another zebra fish during the crisis. We all know how hardy those fish are!

Here is a sober warning about using anything designed for pond use in an aquarium...just because it says 'safe for fish' doesn't mean it is.:devil:

Martyerd

My fish come to work with me!
Apr 4, 2008
Thats sucks to hear. Thanks for sharing the information!

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
East Central Indiana, USA
One of my 4 remaining 'original 6' zebras has been severely injured...Yesterday noted a female zebra danio swimming strenuously but not as fast as usual...on closer inspection, I found the poor thing had lost most of her tail! I suspect 'the perpetrator' to be an overly aggressive/territorial male! She's not quite down to the peduncle, (but it was very close - really no tail at all to speak of), so I have her in a hospital net now where she seems happy enough and not distressed. She's taking food, which is a good sign, and also swimming pretty well, considering. She still tries to shoal whenever other zebras swim past the net! Bless her! ha ha.

Luckily, being tail-less, she wasn't too hard to catch, so I have not had to re-plant the tank after her ordeal and capture! LOL. Life's tough when you're a danio, I guess. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store