New 225 gallon FOWLR with huge sump system, is it overkill? Any other issues??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chuckd92

Registered Member
Jan 26, 2014
Im planning on setting up a Deep Sea Aquatics Pro 225 Gallon 72x27x27, Its the biggest tank I can fit. Im going with a FOWLR setup with these fish.

Clown Trigger
Dogfaced Puffer
Blue Faced Angel
Annularis Angel
Magnificent Foxface
Bi Color Goatfish
Purple Tang
Lieutenant Tang
Achillie Tang
Harlequin Tusk
Sunset Wrasse

Im going with 1 inch sand in Display with LR, 2x 1150 power heads along with 2 return spayers

Im going with a 3 sump system because of the massive waste this tank will create but be all natural with only the protein skimmer being mechanical.

Sump under the tank 75 gallon 48x18x24, chamber for incoming water to contain the bubbles, No socks but will have housing for them if needed, 1 inch sand, Lots of LR, and Inverts in this sump only to clean up waste. Crabs, Snails and starfish. 1x 800 watt heater

2nd sump natural overflow to it in utility room next to tank, 120g (already have from old system) 72x18x22, will house Protein skimmer rated at 300 gallons in first chamber, then divided algae pit side by side for Cheto and Gracilari, then a 6 inch DBS with fern plans, sea lettuce, shrimp and copods. will have natural overflow to 3rd tank

3rd return tank 29 gallon 36x12x18 for return pump rated at 4000GPH but will be 2500 after 6 foot of plumbing to display tank and 1x 800 watt heater

Will have a 20 gallon Q-tank, 150g RO/DI unit, 384w compact fluorescent lighting for main tank

about 600lbs of live sand, 500lbs of LR

Main question is this too much filter??? Are the fish a good choice?? I will have the Q-Tank to separate naughty fish :) and 3rd and I missing anything??

Thanks

Oldmanofthesea.

AC Members
Jan 22, 2014
You must be a young man who wants lots of species in one tank, do look at the views and that there were no replies from the 50, for the thing be is, all to often I seen this numerous times in any number of links and it's always the same thing.

I later i would offer your disaster of an idea a good deal of patience and go over all that its not good in what you are looking to do in your idea, everything. For one thing, if you are planning to have fish that will grow far too large for a 20 gal Qt, it's not ideal then to have such a small QT

Also if you are planning to have so many fish, one Qt will not cut it and to bad you not mention the name and model of the skimmer you are talking about. Your plan I'm afraid will cost you dearly.

Im wondering also if you know that you can manage a skimmer on a QT, only when medication is required, you will need to reduce your skimmer power level, if you know what I mean by that.

Please become a patience hobbyist and you will and should have much success.

You see, the annularis angelfish requires a large tank, here you have it with many other species, just because you read somewhere tank size for each species, the links you read this do not say when you add many numbers of other fish, that your tank should be conciliable much large.

The angelfishes and Achilles, if you a beginner as I think, please leave these fish in the ocean, it may be as well all the fish I'm sorry to say :(

Buddy >}}}}>

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Disclaimer: Each component of your system is an opportunity for failure but with that much water volume, you will have a good amount of time to react.

Now that that is out of the way...I want to see this up and running!!!!

Is it overkill? IMO, yes. You can have success with less but your plan is solid. The benefit other than size is going to be the variety of life. Not just that you add through purchases but what grows in those systems all on its own.

Definitely take your time and draw this out (measure twice, cut once as you go) if you decide to go forward.

You're going to need A LOT more flow. Think WP-40/WP-60 or the more $$ Ecotech MP-40/MP-60 size.

Wouldn't use 1 x 800W heater. Use smaller multiples.

You are going to want a good controller for that system unless you never leave your house :). Apex and Prolufix are some you could look into.

So is it full yet?!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store