New and confused

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2DOH

Registered Member
Feb 26, 2003
Kidderminster England
Visit site
I was given a second hand tank for christmas that was already populated with 10 fish including a very large plec. I felt the tank was too small for them so I decided to buy a much larger tank(220L). I set the new tank up and left it for three days before transfering the fish across. It is now two weeks on and I have two problems.
1. The water is cloudy
2. The ammonia levels have shot up.
I have done one partial water change, added ammo-lock and added some friendly bacteria.
Should my tank sort itself out or should I start worrying?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I think that you're just in the middle of the cycle with the new tank. It should eventually sort itself out, but keep up those water changes.

Gourami_Boy

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
Hi

Is your filter sufficent for the new tank?
I have always seemed to be able to solve the cloudy water problem with a good filter. If its haze from adding gravel then this takes a while to go but will be speeded up greatly by a good filter.

Dave :)

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Hi

The ammo lock will take up ammonia before the bacteria can feed on it. What happened to the filter on the old tank? Add it to your new tank temporarily even if it's been off a few days.
lots of water changes, keep the ammo down or you'll hurt your fish.
good luck
:)

wetmanNY

AC Members
I haven't used Ammo-Lock lately and don't remember details, but AmQuel binds the ammonia in a form that's still available to bacteria (an important consideration).

You want to keep doing those water changes for the health of the fish: the nitrifying bacteria won't starve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store