New Betta Mom - I think my betta has fin rot? Please advise.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jakaminethebetta

Registered Member
Apr 27, 2020
Hi all. I've had my betta for roughly 3 months and they've been doing great so far. However, I noticed that the pelvic fins appear torn and there is a thin white string hanging off of each fin. There is also white tips on the tail. Mind you, my betta's pelvic fins have always been slightly torn (since I bought it) and I believe the tips on the tail were white too...I've just noticed it more as of late. In any case, I've read in depth about fin rot and I think my betta may have it. Not sure if I'm overthinking but thought I would get advice first before I purchase medication or treat it unnecessarily. I spoke with a PetSmart rep (on the phone) and they advised "BettaFix" but because I can't physically go in to the Pet Store and show them pics of my fish I want more opinions. Also, I've read on this forum that Aqueon Betta Food isn't the best brand. Can you also recommend better food? All help is greatly appreciated IMG_3083.jpgIMG_3082.jpg

nateyj90

AC Members
Feb 13, 2020
Everett, WA
That's an awesome looking betta! I love that deep color it has. I cannot see anything that would be of major concern, the fish looks pretty healthy. Unfortunately, that tank looks way too small for the betta. I'm guessing it's a 1 gallon? If you want your betta to live the longest and most happiest life it can have, you need a larger tank. It is much more likely to become ill in a smaller tank. And it's quality of life will be terrible. It is also much harder to control water parameters in a small tank, ammonia could spike insanely fast compared to a larger tank.

For a happy betta, a 5 gallon tank will do. A 10 gallon is even better, and you might even be able to keep a sorority of bettas! Don't quote me on that though. Bettas also need a diet that is high in protein. High protein foods tend to throw off water parameters a little more when compared to a mostly algae based food for example.

I know that you probably didn't want to hear all this and just wanted to know about fin rot. But it seems that you really do care about your fish and want it to have a great life. I hope you and your beautiful betta stay in the hobby for years to come!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
His fins look good, the white you are seeing looks more like streaks of iridescence, which is normal.

He is a very lovely male veiltail betta. Probably could do with a tank upgrade, 2.5 gal absolutely the minimum for a betta with good frequent water changes. Bigger is always better, but if space is an issue, a 2.5gal is the smallest id put a betta in.
Just change his water every other day for the time being until a bigger tank is available.

Food... i like Bug Bites. But i also feed Aqueon betta pellets mixed in as well. I also add in frozen blood worms or frozen mysis shrimp too. I like to rotate their diet a bit. But for a dry staple, Bug Bites or Omega One are good brands.

Avoid freezedried bloodworms, they can cause bloat.

Reactions: nateyj90
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store