New Butterfly Peacock Bass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Just got a great deal on a pair of Cichla occellaris lukanini so I snatched them up. They are about 2" and 2.5" so still little tiny things but I will be growing them out and selling them eventually, most likely....I doubt I will be keeping a pair of fish that grow 29" and can weigh 12lbs lol I Just want the experience of raising them and learning about them and watching them color-up as they grow bigger. I have them in my peaceful SA-Cichid community for now with docile or mildly aggressive fish so hopefully nothing will bother them too much.

Anyone here keep or kept Peacock Bass before?

I'll post some pics after they settle in

krichardson

AC Members
Feb 25, 2017
I have known the lukanani name to be what the locals down in the jungles refer to ocelaris peacock bass as and some shops have used it as a trade name.I have never heard of the "butterfly" name however.
BTW what prompted you to get into such a large growing fish? They could eventually make a meal out of your other fish lol.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
I have known the lukanani name to be what the locals down in the jungles refer to ocelaris peacock bass as and some shops have used it as a trade name.I have never heard of the "butterfly" name however.
BTW what prompted you to get into such a large growing fish? They could eventually make a meal out of your other fish lol.
Just wanted to get some experience with them and I plan on selling them when they get bigger, I understand they will fetch a hefty price as sub-adults. I tried the Kelberi a few months ago but he didn't make it so I picked these little bad boys up for dirt-cheap and I figure I can flip them.

I have always loved Peacock bass and to me, if I plan on taking a trip someday to SA to fish for them, I think learning about their behavior in the aquarium is a good start to learning their habits and furthering my education. Depending what the end of the year brings I will have a new 180-265g tank so there's a chance I may end up keeping them, but I won't know until I see how much money and store credit I have saved

krichardson

AC Members
Feb 25, 2017
Not sure about them being worth a whole lot of money when they are bigger as the more rare species are the ones that fetch big bucks but you might find someone willing to pay for them.You can catch plenty of them in some parts of Florida where they have been introduced and have been thriving for years.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Not sure about them being worth a whole lot of money when they are bigger as the more rare species are the ones that fetch big bucks but you might find someone willing to pay for them.You can catch plenty of them in some parts of Florida where they have been introduced and have been thriving for years.
This is true but in Florida they only grow to a fraction of the size they would normally grow in the Amazon. IDK why - climate and competition for food probably , but if you look at the FL state records , it's only a couple of pounds as opposed to the 10-12 lbs they can attain in SA .

krichardson

AC Members
Feb 25, 2017
This is true but in Florida they only grow to a fraction of the size they would normally grow in the Amazon. IDK why - climate and competition for food probably , but if you look at the FL state records , it's only a couple of pounds as opposed to the 10-12 lbs they can attain in SA .
That is interesting,never heard of that before....and I thought that I was looking out and saving you some money on a fishing trip lol.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
That is interesting,never heard of that before....and I thought that I was looking out and saving you some money on a fishing trip lol.
yea, you can definitely fish for them in Florida but you won't find any trophies down there. If you really want a monster Peacock Bass, you gotta go to the Amazon. As far as saving money, it will be a looooong time before I can go but Florida is old news to me. I have done just about everything Florida offers at this point lol One day I will brave the mighty Amazon rainforest :)

krichardson

AC Members
Feb 25, 2017
I don't blame ya as I would like to visit the Amazon some day before they drain it and clear out all of the jungle as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store