New Convict Pair.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlid_guy

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
photos.yahoo.com
ok, i got a pair of black convicts today.
they are about 1.5" TL

At what size do they start to want to breed? also how many fry do they have, and how often do they have them?
this is my first try at breeding fish. I heard Con's breed like rabbits!

Another question!?

What dose everyone do with all the baby fry?
I don't want 300-400 con's!! :)
I was thinking of food for my other cichlids, but i know my wife will freak!!

scottie

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
If you have a male and female then they could breed at the size they are now. The smallest pair I have had was 3/4 of an inch feamle and a 1 1/2 inch male. They could have a couple hundred fry to start out with but the numbers will thin down after a week or more and you would probabley end up with around with 50, could be more or less though. It depends on the pair on how often they would breed. Could be every 2 weeks or it could be every 2-3 months.
You could grow them and use them as feeders but it would take awhile to get to a good enough size for other fish to eat esecially if you would be feeding good size fish. Or you could try to seel them to a store but you wouldn't get to much for them.
Good luck with them. Have a Merry Christmas!

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
c_g: I have a pair of cons that are about teh same size as yours, and they just bred after havintg htem for 3 weeks....very exciting, and what he said about the numbers is true, start out with about a hundred adn then they slowly disappear

I didn't separate the parents fromt eh fry at all and the parents are showing GREAT parenting behavior...I am not sure if the parents are eating an occasional fry or if the tankmate pleco is....but whenever I see him move the parents attack him and make him go back to his hiding spot, they are VERY aggressive when they mate...and I would use the fry as feeders when they get big or else try to score some store credit at teh LFS

cichlid_guy

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
photos.yahoo.com
I think i'll try to get store credit! but con's aren't that much in demand, how much can i be looking for? I anyone has convict fry and sales them, what do you get for them??
like 25 cents each? or what?
If it gets where i can't sell them i might just give them away!
ether to the LFS or on the forum.

What i want to do is try to breed a perfect (well nice looking) convict. like breed them, then pick the best out and breed them, and so on. i think it would be cool and i'm sure i would learn alot also!!
what are the perfect markings on a Black Convict?
is there a picture, or a site i can look at??

thanks!
scottie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store