New fish arrived yesterday!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nateyj90

AC Members
Feb 13, 2020
Everett, WA
20200327_141343.jpg
This little guy came in the mail yesterday. It's a Honduran Red Point, basically a more colorful Convict Cichlid. I'm gonna be feeding him Seachem Chlorella flakes, Aqueon Color Enhancing Cichlid Pellets, cut up peas, and an earthworm every once in a while. Tank is a 40 gallon breeder.(Only tankmate is a 2.5 inch common pleco.) Temp is 78-79f. PH 7.8. Nitrate: 10-20ppm. From what I've read, they're pretty hardy little guys and have practically the same needs as Convicts. But if anyone has any tips to grow a nice, healthy fish, I would love to hear it! Thanks everyone!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Hes cute! Cant offer much advice for him as im not too familiar with cichlids, but hes a nice looking fish.

Reactions: nateyj90

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Looks like a Malawi cichlid to me, mouth shape and stripe patterns is wrong for HRP.

nateyj90

AC Members
Feb 13, 2020
Everett, WA
Looks like a Malawi cichlid to me, mouth shape and stripe patterns is wrong for HRP.
Dang, that kinda sucks because I ordered it online and it said it was a Honduran Red Point. But comparing images online, it looks like you may be right. Do you know if it'll be okay to keep with my pleco? Is there any changes to my water parameters I should make?

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
The only sure way to know is when it grows up. What ever it is it looks good and healthy. Also, where do you plan on moving the pleco in 6 months to a year?

nateyj90

AC Members
Feb 13, 2020
Everett, WA
The only sure way to know is when it grows up. What ever it is it looks good and healthy. Also, where do you plan on moving the pleco in 6 months to a year?
My friend has a ton of tanks, one of which is a 100 gallon. I haven't brought it up with him yet, but hopefully he would take it. If not, then it'll have to go up on craigslist, offerup, etc. If Petco had a big enough tank, then they might take it. But that would be sending it to a likely death.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
My friend has a ton of tanks, one of which is a 100 gallon. I haven't brought it up with him yet, but hopefully he would take it. If not, then it'll have to go up on craigslist, offerup, etc. If Petco had a big enough tank, then they might take it. But that would be sending it to a likely death.
Most africans can live in a 40 (although there are many exceptions). If you wan to keep it I don't see a reason you couldn't.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
A 40B would be just fine and your water parameters are also just fine.

It's very possible the vendor you bought it from misidentified it or it was in the wrong tank when they netted it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store