New Flowerhorn hides all the time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seahorse8383

AC Members
Feb 18, 2014
I just bought a Flowerhorn 5" a vieja synspila 7" and two salvinis 3". The flowerhorn and the salvinis hide all the time. Im not too concerned about the salvinis hiding because they are small and if I were them I would hide too. But I am wondering if my flowerhorn will ever stop being so shy. I can tell already that she/he is going to be beautiful and it would be great if he would come out so I can see her. My vieja is always out. Do you think my flowerhorn will get over his shyness?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Agree. I am not an expert on larger cichlids, but I have researched many of them from time to time, and most sources suggest one Flowerhorn in its own tank with no tankmates is best, unless the tank is very large. This initial shyness will pass (if the fish is healthy) and then comes the trouble. This fish easily reaches 12 inches, and some cichlid sites say possibly 14.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Agree. I am not an expert on larger cichlids, but I have researched many of them from time to time, and most sources suggest one Flowerhorn in its own tank with no tankmates is best, unless the tank is very large. This initial shyness will pass (if the fish is healthy) and then comes the trouble. This fish easily reaches 12 inches, and some cichlid sites say possibly 14.
I agree. But to help you out a bit more we would at least need to know the tank size. Tank size becomes a huge factor when trying to maintain a CA/SA cichlid tank.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Seahorse8383

AC Members
Feb 18, 2014
Yes I am sorry it is a 6 foot 125 gallon tank

Seahorse8383

AC Members
Feb 18, 2014
Im sorry. The tank is a 6 foot 125 gallon

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
This is a good size tank. Im not familiar with viejas so i dont what theyre potential size is. But the FH and salvinis can get up to a foot long and be quite agressive. FH are best by themselves but have been kept in communities. If the Salvinis end up a pair you will have some issues. Hopefully some others will chime in on this because im not too familiar with these species.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
The Vieja synspila or Quetzal cichlid will max out at 16" for males and 12" for females. Salvini cichlids; 12" for males and females about half that size. These cichlids work well together if housing a single specimen of each. A male and female Salvini would create a problem. Throwing a Flower Horn in the mix, even in a tank that size, is also a problem. I've kept all of these fish at different times and the FH is the worst in a community. Maybe in a 200+ and 2 or 3 carefully chosen mates, maybe. As long as the Salvinis aren't a pair, I don't see an issue. I've kept a Quetzal a Salvini and a Blue Acara in a 75g with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store