New Gold Nugget Healthy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tombutu

Registered Member
Aug 5, 2020
Just bought this new GN today. His stomach doesnt appear to be sunken but he looks a little skinny. Do you guys think hes healthy. And how can i Fatten him up? His poop is brown and not a stringy white so I dont think he has any internal parasites.20200805_173746.jpg
20200805_173137.jpg20200805_173729.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
He only looks just a little underweight at most to me, like you said maybe a bit skinny. Is he eating well? Poop looks ok. Does it eat yet? Did you ask the shop what it was eating & get that food? Sometimes it takes some variety & several days for fish to adjust to a new tank. What size is your fish & tank? Any other fish with it?

I haven't kept gold nuggets of any species (yet, on my dream list). I know they often like warm temps, ~80F. I don't know if they like wood to graze on, many plecos do. It might help to add some. You can look on planetcatfish, it helps if you know its L#. Scotcat & seriouslyfish are good too.

I'm interested in how it does does for you, good luck!

Tombutu

Registered Member
Aug 5, 2020
Its an l018 GN, they fish store said they fed it hikari algea wafers but he wont touch them in my 40 breeder. There is driftwood along with rocks. I will try some repashy tonight. Hes in there with a blue phantom, columbian zebra, and a clown pleco (4 plecos total). No other fish. I decided to dose with some GC just incase they have some worms. If he still doesnt eat ill does with levamisole as a last resort. I'm not to worried as his belly isnt sunken and Im hoping hes just adjusting, only his 2nd day.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Some very pretty plecos, are they all small yet? I think 2 x 7 inch plecs might cause trouble in a relatively small tank as they grow...Do the smaller 1s get enough to eat? My clowns were always very much nocturnal & might do well with a feeding after lights out. I assume you have lots of hiding places...

I love Repashy food! I use the Soilent Green, an aufwuchs replacement for my hillstream loaches. There are several types of Repashy, I "think" You GN might like it that kind too. Maybe your clown, not sure of the others, they may be more carnivorous...Variety is always good!

Please keep us posted, I learn while you do :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store