New here, but not really new to fish/snails, well sort of new.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zoomo

Registered Member
Apr 27, 2018
I started out with my son's betta who he was not feeding and had in a bowl that he never cleaned. I now have 4 of them. I bought Mystery snails to go in with them. Horrible idea because Mystery snails are pigs and these are split tanks and not that big, 5.3 gal each with 1 betta on each side. I bought Mystery snails because Nerites are not that active and just sort of sit there.

So, I took the Mystery snails out and put them in their own 5 gallon tank, but there are way too many in there and the water is killing me. It turns gross and cloudy within 3 days and I have to do a full water change, take the snails out, wash the gravel out, clean the filters massively, etc. I have tried 4 different filters, at one time had 3 filters running on this tank, tried a 75 gallon Tidal filter thinking there is no way the water will get cloudy with this filter, but it did and the filter is too big for this tank, so put my AquaClear 30 back on and a small AzoPalm today, after cleaning the entire thing out again (literally just did this Tuesday), cleaning the media, etc. I even have Purigen running in these things. I do not have a bigger tank and nowhere to put a bigger tank but I love these buggers. My hubby tells me to put them in the front yard and just keep a few, but I can't do that.

The reason for my post.

When I put the snails back into the clean water, noticed one was floating all over and just spinning like a top. I took him out and looked at him. I noticed his shell was cracked (yes I put calcium in the water). I do not know what happened to his shell but I panicked and read a bit on the net and somebody suggested trying clear nail polish. I tried it, must have touched his insides, because he pushed off the cracked part. I stopped doing it, wiped him off, and I now have him in a breeder net in his tank. He is probably dead, but I am praying he is not. He is just sort sitting in 1 spot, when I put him in he was closed up. Now his kind of opened up but is not crawling around yet. This just happened about an hour ago, so I am going to wait a bit. What do you all think his chances are?

Thanks for reading if anybody does.

Oops, it appears I posted in Marine instead of Freshwater, and no idea how to move it. Sorr!!

Zoomo

Registered Member
Apr 27, 2018
Well, he lived. I work nights so sleep during the day, and left him in the breeder net in one spot, and when I got up, he had basically crawled out of the breeder net and is on the very top rim of the breeder net, so yay.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Yay! Moved the thread for you btw.

Sounds like you are nuking the tank every 3 days. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? By taking everything out and cleaning it you are destroying the good bacteria that converts ammonia and nitrites into the less toxic form of nitrates. Do you have a liquid test kit? This really should be the first thing you purchase as a fish keeper.

Now beyond cycling...Mystery snails have large bio-loads (they eat and poop a lot creating excess ammonia). General stocking rule is 1 snail per 2.5g but honestly I'd give more like 1 per 5g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store