new krib layed eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Julianna

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Visit site
I just got a pair of kribs about one week ago. This is in a ten gallon tank with six rummy nosed tetras. When I got them she was already displaying a very bright purple/red belly. Today there was a patch of yellow small eggs on a leaf near the little cave I set up. I was very surprised that she didn't use the cave, but I was excited. Next time I checked Dad was eating the eggs!! I thought these were good parents?? Could we have scared them by peering into the tank?? Were they possibly not her eggs?? Any clues would be appreciated. Thank You!

rus

self proclaimed proclaimer
Jan 6, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.cichlidsickness.com
sometimes it takes new parents a few tries to get the hang of it. if it happens a few more times they may feel it is too hard to care for them but i doubt that will happen. just keep the tank and water clean and they should have another go at it soon. they should get the hang of it by the second or third try. good luck !

Julianna

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Visit site
:) Thank you for your thoughts. I hope they do get it right. It has been difficult explaining to my three year old where all the eggs went!:(

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
hi julianna. when my kribs had their 1st batch, they were pretty good parents. they had their eggs ina stump and i never saw them until mama brought them out in her mouth. they paraded them around the tank for about a week and then one day something happened in my tank that made all my fish run to the top gasping for air, including the kribs. i never saw the babies again after things returned to normal so ive always assumed they ate them. the 2nd batch came(more this time) and they are still doing great. the biggest of this batch is about 3/4inch now and they look like minuture versions of their parents as well. act like them too. the 3rd batch came and was very small. their are only 6 left right now, but they seem to be doing well.

did you notice your kribs going into the cave after they "ate" the eggs? it could be that they are moving the eggs to a safer location. my kribs did this with the 2nd batch. she laid her eggs in a different stump(smaller and less secure) than the first, but after a day or so, moved them back to the big stump where they hatched. they will move the eggs and fry around in their mouths if they feel the need.

im sure if they failed this time, they will be successful eventually. then when they get the hang of it, youll bee looking for what to do with all the extra fish you own! good luck!

Julianna

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. yes there is a little flower pot cave in the tank. I wondered if it was possible that they moved them, but I wasn't sure if they would. I'll keep my eyes open. Maybe that's what they did.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store