New pics - Bowfin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
bowfin are part of an ancient order of fish. As a matter of fact, they are the only surviving member of their genus, making them a very special fish. It's rare in the pet trade because it's a native species which grows large, isn't outstandingly coloured, is an overly aggressive predator, and is very greedy, not something the typical aquarist with a mere 55g tank would want to buy. Also, if you're outside of it's natural range, then it would be considered a "rare" fish because they aren't commonly available through the pet trade and they are not available to catch.

Bowfins are not anywhere near related to gobies. They are partially cartillaginous, making them closer relatives to sturgeons and other primitive fish. However, as far as looks go, I'd say it looks like a cross between a snakehead and a wolffish.

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
I've always thought these were some really cool fish, any fish that can be found burried miles away from any water body and live for months at a time like that impresses me :) Not as cool as the Polypterus though IMO :p

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Mudfish

Bowfin are known as 'Mudfish' down here. I'm guessing they are a warm water fish. They are very common in the lakes and rivers. I've caught several over 10 pounds. They seem to seek out stagnant waters and I believe they are a labarynth fish - 'air gulpers' - when needed due to low oxygen content in stagnant areas. They put up a heck of a fight at the end of a fishing line, but are of no 'tasty' food value. They have been said to taste like mud.
It seems strange never to have seen one in LFS's...as they would sell...

Yes, they can look ugly, and so does my Violet Goby.

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
80gJO

I think these guys can tolerate VERY wide ranges of temperature. I had heard they are most common in southern states, but my first encounter with one was up in Michigan when visiting my dad. I thought they were just awesome. Another cool fish from up there is the burbot...which is what I first thought they called the bowfin. But like so many other fish/animals around, the locals call them waterdogs. Fight like crazy I hear ;)

HazyWater

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
SoCal U.S. of A
jiggerpolebill asked, so...

You'll want a book tailored for your area. There are really many, many native american fish.

this is a good book

check out NANFA if want some info on native species.

I know the Bowfin is endangered in Maryland. Make sure you check your local regulations before you go out and fish for... a fish. Your LFS may not be able to sell you a bowfin because it can require special permits, depending on your state.

redpaulhus

AC Members
Apr 26, 2002
Boston, MA
jiggerpolebill -

If you're willing to look online for an out-of-print book, one of the best I've found is John Quinn's "Our Native Fishes" published in 1990 by The Countryman Press. It covers everything from collecting the fish to setting up the aquarium to the fish themselves.

The only thing lacking is good color photos, which a field guide (like the one previously mentioned by Hazywater) would provide nicely.

I found my copy on Amazon.com for about $20.

Hope it helps.

Awesome bowfin pics by the way ! great lookin fish !

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
hey thanks for the resourses. ive been to the nanfa site before but i couldnt remember the name of it. there's some good links off of it as well. thanks again for the info. ill be keeping my eye out for them.

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
FYI - just found this surfing through NANFA's site, in case anybody else is interested in the bowfin.

http://www.nanfa.org/articles/ACarticles.htm

sorry. link didnt post through to the article. if you scroll down the menu on the left, under "MISC FAMILIES" you can find an article titled "Tank Raising Bowfins" by R.W. Wolff.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store