New tank coming up and I need some help...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscarchick

AC Members
Dec 30, 2002
Western North Carolina
Visit site
Hello everyone! I am fixing to get a 55 gallon tank. I found it in my local classifieds. It comes with a stand, 2 power filters, hood light, gravel, plants, heaters, accessories, water and about 8 fish. I have been warned about purchasing used tanks, especially if they have been moved improperly. Does anyone have any advice on this? Also, the tank is currently set up and has fish. If I purchase the tank, I have to take the fish. Should I take the water also, or as much of it as possible? To help with the cycling? I have made a deal with a local pet store regarding taking some of the fish. I do not want to keep all of the fish. I am putting my oscar in the new tank and he will need all of the room he can get. The new tank I am considering is overstocked as it is, so it would be wise to give away several of the new fish. The guy that I am getting the tank from has had it for 2 1/2 years and has never had a leak or a problem. His family is growing and he says he needs more room. I am open for any advice. I'm going to look at the tank tomorrow afternoon. I am excited about this potential new upgrade. Thanks!!
Heather:D

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
I assum you're looking at it while it's still setup? Odds are if he's taken good care of the tank you'll be able to tell. Whenever you buy something used you take a risk...but I would say it's generally a safe buy. (I bought 150G tank used and haven't had a problem yet).

Make sure you're ready to setup before you got to pick up the tank.

As far as what to take. If you can have it drain water into a styrofoam cooler or 2 (however many it takes to make the fish comfortable) right before you're coming to pickup. Just dispose of the rest of the water. Put the gravel into a rubbermaid container with any other decorations, etc. You'll want to put the filter media somewhere where it won't dry out...Wrapped in damp paper towels works pretty well. Once you get the tank and have it setup, add your gravel back in...and fill it up with proper temp/dechlorinated fresh water. Get your filters set up and running and you should be able to add your fish with very little effect. You shouldn't experience much of a cycle if any at all. If you can take the fish you're giving away to the LFS without adding them to your tank...the decreased bioload will help prevent a cycle even more.

Some other tips:
If you feel you need to clean the tank, don't use any soap...If there are hard water stains you want to remove, try some vinegar and just rinse it well with clean water before you add your stuff.

Keep an eye on your water parameters for the first week or so.

heat

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Houghton Lake, Michigan
I've bought many used tanks and have yet to get a "leaker". *knock wood*
And you will be reassured since you get to see it set up holding water now.
As for moving the water.. if you can then try to move atleast a few 5 gallon buckets full.. and as always the cycled filter media will be a huge benefit. That along with trading in a good portion of the fish may well keep you from having to go through any cycling pains at all with this tank, due to any loss of bio you may run into.

Just a bit of common sense on moving tanks. Remove all water (easier to carry handle etc) decor, heaters and filters from the tank. You can leave the gravel but be prepared for lifting the extra weight in tank, sometimes it's just better to put gravel in a bucket with some of the water to keep it wet and preserve the bio bed on the gravel as much as possible. Do the same with the media from the filters keep it wet during tear down and transport and set up again. Keep tank as protected as possible from being bumped and knocked against during the transport and setting up in your home.
The fish can be moved easily in styrofoam coolers or bait buckets (also styro) just insure that they don't run into too much of a temp drop.

On a side note... ask for the tanks water levels, ph etc including nitrAtes to avoid shocking the fish you do intend to keep with water source differences.
To keep the bio on the filters live and experience little to no die off make sure you set the tank back up as soon as possible or if you are certain there is no disease in the new tank run the filters on your existing tanks until you can get it set up as filters and gravel alike can go anerobic.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Most of the good bacteria live on something, there isn't a whole lot in the water column, so you don't need to move excess tank water.

The fish, obviously, need some water. They should probably travel in a half-filled bucket with a top so they don't jump. They need air as well as water -- don't forget to leave airspace. Some folks have mentioned using coolers. If you're talking to the Local Fish Store (the LFS, hereabouts), you could see if you can get one of the styrofoam shipping boxes the fish come in.

The substrate and the filter media should also stay wet. Beyond that you don't really need extra water. Trying to move the tank while it has a lot of water in it can stress the seals and cause leaks, even if you don't wind up outright breaking the tank. People have mentioned leaving the substrate in with just enough water to keep it damp, maybe taping a garbage bag over top to keep it humid inside. Or you could empty the whole bit -- on a 55 that could be a significant amount of extra weight.

With the whole buying used thing: make sure you want what you're getting. If you're paying extra for bits and pieces of a package deal that you don't really want, or that are worn and may need replacement, etc. than maybe its not really a deal. Just be aware of what its worth to you specifically.

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
Congrats! I bought a 55 gal tank with wood stand, lights, power filters , power heads, gravel, plants, nets, test kits, books, coral, etc all for $125.00 from the classifieds also. In excellent shape. Never a leak or problem. No fish though...it was all cleaned and ready to go. I would empty the water into containers with the fish and keep it. I would also keep the gravel as is but maybe remove some into another container to make moving the tank easier. Then just replace it and water and fish after set it up at your home. Be careful when lifting the tank and support it on both ends at all times. As far as putting your Oscar in there.....Oscars can be aggressive to other fish right? You may want to just get rid of all the fish to the lfs depending if they are compatable. Maybe just use your water from your oscar tank? Either way...when you buy fish from your lfs you are just adding them from their water there at the lfs to yours and they seem to survive it.

Last edited:

oscarchick

AC Members
Dec 30, 2002
Western North Carolina
Visit site
Thanks for the replies...

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I will definitely get to see the tank set up and I will be sure to check for any leaks or worn silicone. I will go get a couple of styrofoam coolers to transport the fish and make sure I have a Rubbermaid tote for the gravel. I am not very experienced on cycling the water, but I am gathering that saving the filter media and keeping the gravel wet will help to prevent a bacterial bloom. I am so excited and I know that my Oscar (Elmo) is going to love his new huge home. It is so wonderful to have all of this incredible knowledge right at my fingertips!! I really appreciate all of you!! I'll let you all know if I get it!! Talk to you soon!!! This is going to be a great year!! I am so excited...
Heather :D

shmeeb001

AC Members
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
i have bought a "leaker" before. it was kind of funny, took my brain a bit to process why the tank would be half empty. then i looked down. sigh. actually it wasn't too bad, had some silicon on hand. and a mop. mop was very useful.

Orbitorly

Out in left field...
AH! I remember my first 55, Oh the memories :D

Lucky we had a freind that bought a 55 gal tank for saltwater she was new to fish. Three months later she didn't have enough time for the fish. So she gave me the 55 and everything else with it. Over $1000, and that's how it all started for me.

Good luck with you're 55 gallong ;)

oscarchick

AC Members
Dec 30, 2002
Western North Carolina
Visit site
New tank in the morning....

Hello!!! I am going in the morning to pick up my new tank and fishes. I have the area all ready to go and my husband and friend are ready to help. I really wish the tank didn't already have fish in it, but I am going to use the same gravel and filter media to avoid a bacterial bloom. I am very confident that all will go very well!! I am so excited! As soon as I get everything up and going I will give yall an update and pictures!!!!! Thanks for all of the replies!! I must go to bed now, I have a busy day tomorrow!:D
Heather

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store