New tank cycling help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Weasel6

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
St. Matthews,SC
Visit site
I'm asking this question because I forgot the answer.
I've got a 29 gal. tank with gravel and few decor items. Gonna put in a pair of Firemouths when its ready. I'm cycling it this way.
I set it up and filled it with water, turned on the filter and heater. Its been running for 2 days now. I did a filter change on my 75 gal. tank and put the replaced filter into the 29 gal. to get the bacteria to take and a little castle from my 10 gal aswell in there to. I did this when I setup my 75 gal. and then later on plopped in 2 Buenos Aires Tetras to continue with the cycling. Thing is, I can't remember how long I waited between dropping the filter into the tank and dropping the 2 fish. Any ideas? The fish lived and I think I waited about a week before I stocked the rest. I was transferring fish from the 10 gal. to the 75 gal. Nobody died either. This time I'm going from the 10gal. to the 29 gal. and using "setup" bacteria from both. Will that be a problem? Most of the bacteria will come from the 75 because the filter is pretty big and brown. I pulled it straight from the filter box and dropped it right into the tank, no washing. Did it tonight.
When should I pulled the filter and castle and drop the fish?

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Well, if you are wondering when the tank will be ready for fish, and you have the filter media and castle from your matured tanks in it. I would say test the water for ammonia, etc. and if there is next to no ammonia or nitrites then the tank is cycled, if you don't have the test kits (I didn't) then wait two weeks after you put in the 2 Tetras and put another fish into the tank, and then another two weeks and another fish until you are done. (see the convience of testing kits?) This way the tank should have no problems with cycling

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
You should not leave much time between putting in the already seeded media and some fish, as if you do the bacterial colonies will die off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store