New Tank, Looking to go Heavily Planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, well, I didn't comment on your filter. I have no experience with Eheims but some people love them. I pretty sure it'll be fine, their flow rate is often overreated...it's more an optimal rate than real tank conditions from what I understand. If the flow seems too high you can adjust the spraybar along back wall or where seems to work well. A lot depends on décor too.

Almost any plants grow faster with co2 & ferts as can algae...but I'm not sure I want the heavier maintenance involved. If you're set on trying it & maybe some more demanding plants I'd suggest learning before you get any critters.

As for cycling, you can add plants at any time during it. I wouldn't dose to higher than 2ppm ammonia, some plants can be unhappy at higher levels.

Go slow & learn your equipment...& post pics so we can see!

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, well, I didn't comment on your filter. I have no experience with Eheims but some people love them. I pretty sure it'll be fine, their flow rate is often overreated...it's more an optimal rate than real tank conditions from what I understand. If the flow seems too high you can adjust the spraybar along back wall or where seems to work well. A lot depends on décor too.

Almost any plants grow faster with co2 & ferts as can algae...but I'm not sure I want the heavier maintenance involved. If you're set on trying it & maybe some more demanding plants I'd suggest learning before you get any critters.

As for cycling, you can add plants at any time during it. I wouldn't dose to higher than 2ppm ammonia, some plants can be unhappy at higher levels.

Go slow & learn your equipment...

Oh, I see you posted pics while I was typing & cooking...that doesn't look like a standard 20g, what are it's dimensions?
The filter says it should be able to handle any tank from 15 gallon to 45 gallon. Lots of adjustments on it so I should be ok I think!

Yeah I think less maintenance is gonna be better. Ill start with low light plants and see how they do before jumping in with tabs. Will skip co2 for now.

Great info, thanks!

The tank dimensions are 20" long, 10" deep and 24" tall. Its an odd shape , but I really like it. You can see now why I was wondering if it would be ok for corydoras.

The substrate is seachem flourite, very nice substrate. Lfs didnt have the black stuff, but I think I like the look of this red stuff better.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Don't skip root tabs for crypts or swords, they like 'em!

Oh, I see, you tank is sometimes referred to a 10g XH (extra high), even less floor space than 20g "standard" (as opposed to 20g long).

Let's see what your wood looks like in there before I suggest other plants...maybe some easy stem plants to add to the height...But it'll depend on your lights too & I don't know LEDs

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Yeah its an odd shaped tank! I kinda like the height tho!

Ive got 4 pieces coming, thinking about ordering one more too. Hoping to get it filled right to the top haha.

The leds are very powerful, should be good for growing. If I calculated right, I should be getting 1.5w per gallon, which should be ok for low light plants.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
With your small tank I think the Aquatek paintball co2 system is fine. I even use one on my 40 gallon and only have to replace the 24 oz paintball canister about every 7-8 weeks. I'd probably use full sized co2 system if I could do it again, however with a 20 gallon, why not just go mini, unless you plan go with a bigger tank in the future...
I keep mine set at a modest bubble count, just enough bring ph a bit below 7 and the regent at a blue-green color. With crypts and similar simple plants, this is all they need to flourish with a Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus fixture.
I agree Swords just get too big for smallish tanks.
I also keep it simple with the daily ferts. I use an all in one product called Thrive +, but dose modestly 6 days a week.
I like 2 inches of substrate. I use a small grained local river gravel. I've used eco -complete with success if you like charcoal colored substrate.

kingearwig

Master Pond Snail Breeder
Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
I am using a paintball tank. But I got a normal regulator and a paintball tank adaptor. It's on my 150 at about 30 bps and runs out in a week on an 8 hour photoperiod. If you can I would get the normal regulator. You know how this hobby goes... If you like it you going to want to go bigger and with a normal regulator you have the option of the 10lb tank in the future.

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Alright the day is here! My eheim canister filter came in, so i bought some plants and filled it with water!

Plants are java moss, anubias nana and rotala indica (i believe). Not keeping the rotala, it just came as part of the plant package I bought. I was also lucky enough to score a couple little pots with gravel from an established tank. Will help jumpstart my cycle.

No fauna in tank yet, just plants!

Mechanics are eheim ecco pro 130, 50w sub mersible heater, led light strip in existing hood controlled by timer, seachem flourite substrate, digital thermometer.

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Photos

97F534F6-80F2-490E-977F-38C2E0E9125B.jpeg

A5FDA221-1286-4825-A366-A3FA20858816.jpeg

809A2441-195C-42B0-AB87-9BB74B21C395.jpeg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Very cool looking setup!

Like said, this is about the exact opposite of what's ideal for a planted tank in terms of height and footprint. High up is going to get most of the light and if you go with higher intensity lighting, it can be too much for what's up high. That tiny footprint doesn't offer much space for rooting plants.

Sorry if I missed it, but the gas CO2 addition thing? If you don't have the proper lighting to work with the CO2, it's kind of a waste of resources.

At the end of the day, tanks with plants are always a trial and error thing for me. I've got a massive anubia that will fill out the height and width of that tank nicely!!

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Very cool looking setup!

Like said, this is about the exact opposite of what's ideal for a planted tank in terms of height and footprint. High up is going to get most of the light and if you go with higher intensity lighting, it can be too much for what's up high. That tiny footprint doesn't offer much space for rooting plants.

Sorry if I missed it, but the gas CO2 addition thing? If you don't have the proper lighting to work with the CO2, it's kind of a waste of resources.

At the end of the day, tanks with plants are always a trial and error thing for me. I've got a massive anubia that will fill out the height and width of that tank nicely!!
Thanks! Im actually thinking ill leave top water open for tiny fishes to swim. Im trying to go with all low light level plants as well.

Yeah, I decided to co2 wasnt necasarry and would just be waste of money that could go to other things. Will save that for when i eventually get more into it :)

It was pointed out what i thought was rotala could be bacopa. Regardless, I dont like it. Will swap it for java ferns and crypt wendtii !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store