New tank - one month old

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spesh1969

AC Members
Jan 20, 2018
Texas
Real Name
Jen
A month ago I set up a new 20 gallon tank for my betta. I used the filter cartridge from his 5 gallon to help cycle the 20 gallon. Water has been testing great (0-0-5). I still have the old filter cartridge hanging in the new tank. Think it's safe to take it out now? I want to start my 5 gallon back up again with another betta and wanted to put the cartridge back in there to assist with that cycle.

Fish in the 20 gallon are:

(1) Betta
(1) Nerite Snail
(2) Amano Shrimp
(5) Panda Cories

Is a month enough time to get the 20 gallon set up with its own good bacteria?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Jen, you could try it and see. I'd measure water params daily until you're sure the tank produces nothing but nitrates.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
How long have the corys been in there? That would be my only concern; have the beneficial bacteria been in with them long enough to multiply? 0-0-5 sounds like it...

Spesh1969

AC Members
Jan 20, 2018
Texas
Real Name
Jen
The tank was set up on March 21st. The cories went in on March 26th. I used the old filter from the smaller aquarium to help cycle and I made sure my numbers were good before I added the Cories. I also had the LFS test my water the day I went to purchase them.

Water params have been great since. I'm just so nervous to take out that initial old filter, but I'm ready to get another betta for my 5 gallon. I have it up and running. Maybe I'll wait another month and keep everything as-is for now.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd just put the 5g filter on the 20g tank for a couple weeks. Or is it 1 of those built into the lid styles?
Is your 5g filter media just in the tank or in the filter? Water movement & oxygen help the bacteria.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
if you give your old filter cartridge a good swish in your new tank's water and see some muck and gunk and debris enter the new tank, you're all good. in my experience that was always more than enough. the new filter sucks up the junk from the old filter, which contains loads of bacteria, and seeds the filter media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store