New tank setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Edron

AC Members
Nov 9, 2016
36 bowfront aqueon duluxe kit
Peice of driftwood
Artificial plants

2 angel
2 dwarf gourmai
4 neons
1 cory
1 mistery snail
4 female bettas

Any thoughts on plant placement?

IMG_1062.JPG

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Tank looks great! Welcome to the forum! BTW, Bettas, male OR female, should never be kept with gourami. They are in the same fish family and will get along terribly. If yours are getting along fine though, great. Don't change anything if that's they case. As for plants, some java ferns near the back might be nice.

Good luck!

-Aquaticfrog32

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome! Great looking setup. Is it all brand-new? Just curious if you have an established nitrogen cycle going on and a test kit to verify.

Corys do best in groups. Big groups. Same with neons. Problem is, your max stocked as is.

Edron

AC Members
Nov 9, 2016
Hi i actually had a nitrite spike the other day and lost a few fish. It is a new tank but all my test results looked good but i added too many fish at once. I added a aqueon quite flow 20 for some more filtration and just doing daily water changes to save the rest of my fish. The gourmai and betta have seemed fine together. I lost 2 betta and a angel in the spike

IMG_1083.JPG

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Layout looks great! Is there any chance of you getting some used filtration media from someone with a healthy, established tank that you could run in your filters? A used sponge bubbler filter would give you an instant cycle. All you can do in the meantime is keep measuring your water parameters and keep ammonia and nitrite to 0ppm with water changes. Nitrites will kill fish pretty quickly. It will take a good 4-6 weeks before you see nothing but nitrates. I like Aqueon quiet flow HOB filters for mechanical filtration, but they are horrible for bio filtration- which is what you need right now. All they have is that plastic grid for bio. Very inadequate.

Last edited:

Edron

AC Members
Nov 9, 2016
The new quiet flow 20 come with a nice sponge that sits in the plastic thing. One of my nabours has a tank but i dont know him well. I can try to ask for one, but id check his water first and ask for some background on the tank. My tank has been running for about a month now.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's a great thing if the Aqueon Quiet Flows come with a sponge section now. Just rinse that out in tank water when it gets dirty. I just checked the AQF 50 I have sitting on a shelf, it's a ~3yr old one that I used for a short period of time and put back in the box. No sponge with that one. Just two plastic grid/diffusers and of course, the replaceable floss cartridges. I run extra sponge bubbler filters in some of my tanks or extra sponges in my AquaClear filters just in the event myself or anyone else needs to start up a tank. Haven't found anyone yet! LOL.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's a great thing if the Aqueon Quiet Flows come with a sponge section now. Just rinse that out in tank water when it gets dirty. I just checked the AQF 50 I have sitting on a shelf, it's a ~3yr old one that I used for a short period of time and put back in the box. No sponge with that one. Just two plastic grid/diffusers and of course, the replaceable floss cartridges. I run extra sponge bubbler filters in some of my tanks or extra sponges in my AquaClear filters just in the event myself or anyone else needs to start up a tank. Haven't found anyone yet! LOL.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store