New Tank Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktophers

Registered Member
Jul 1, 2021
My betta recently died and I'm interested in getting some new fish for the tank. The tank is 10 gallons, and I either want to get a new betta or some dwarf gourami. I've heard differing opinions online, so I figured I'd ask here! Will two male dwarf gouramis be okay in a 10 gallon tank together, or is that a bad idea and should I stick to females? I don't want them to mate, so I was planning on staying away from one male and one female in the tank. As an alternative, I read an article that suggested getting one dwarf and about 5 neon tetras. Does that sound okay, or too crowded? Let me know! My tank is currently cycled btw, as my old betta Larry was in there for several months and I haven't gotten rid of any of the water yet. I have a stock of silk fake plants and I don't plan on using any live ones because I have a brown thumb lol.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
NO! 2 male dwarf gouramis will not be ok in a 10g. Females, if you can find them, are pretty boring, I vote no.

Look at either a pair of honey gouramis OR another betta with a small group of dwarf corydoras. Your tank is so small it limits your choices. There are other possibilities...Let us think about it...

Reactions: ktophers

ktophers

Registered Member
Jul 1, 2021
NO! 2 male dwarf gouramis will not be ok in a 10g. Females, if you can find them, are pretty boring, I vote no.

Look at either a pair of honey gouramis OR another betta with a small group of dwarf corydoras. Your tank is so small it limits your choices. There are other possibilities...Let us think about it...
Okay, that's what I figured! Would two male honey gouramis be okay or should I stick to two females? I'm mainly interested in getting some fish in my tank that aren't a betta and are still pretty to look at.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I haven't kept honeys but I'd think a M + F pair. You want the male to color up for a female.

My favorite 10g was a cherry shrimp heavily planted tank. Certainly not your only option...Look up "nano fish" for more ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store