New to aquarium hobby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
My fish are super active and healthy and i don't have a nitrite or nitrate problem. + I have a very powerful filter
Where do you see the problem in my tank ???

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Tell you what...lets discuss it in your thread and not disrupt the thread we are in...

Reactions: Sploke

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Back to the original poster's questions...

Have you looked at what fish are easily available to you? What smaller fish catch your interest? I say smaller fish because many like to be in a group of 6 minimum but often a big school is more interesting too. If, say, you like cute catfish, corydoras are easy. It's better to get a bunch of the same species. For midwater swimmers I have always loved harlequin rasboras, pretty, very hardy & peaceful. Angelfish have different issues as do gouramis, bettas & guppies. There's the whole compatibility thing too, big fish often tend to eat or nip small or long finned fish. Temperature & tap water can be issues too.

Give us a hint of what fish you like most & we'll help you build a tank around them & tank size you'll need...or suggest a similar species if your space (or wallet) is limited. We all have our limits, I'm may never raise young discus again, keep fish that only eat live food or try to raise every single egg to adulthood, lol.

Don't forget to check garage sales for cheap larger tanks (or even free!). Ask friends, relatives & coworkers what they might have in their basement. It doesn't hurt to ask...I've given small-medium tanks away, nothing fancy, lol.

We want to help you! & we can!

bettacache

AC Members
Sep 28, 2019
Central MA
I think the things that I wish I thought of before starting would be the cost and the location of the tank.

My first tank I did bunches of research about tank size and fish appropriate for that tank but what I didn't think of was the cost of every little thing I needed for set up and a good proper location for viewing and ease of access. For example, I have to clean my tank from one specific angle due to where the wall is and how the stand sits against it. (I'm also very short so that could be a factor as well.)

JerryHarris

AC Members
Jan 2, 2019
Tampa, Florida
"For example, I have to clean my tank from one specific angle due to where the wall is and how the stand sits against it. (I'm also very short so that could be a factor as well.)"

Welp! Same here man, same here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store