New to saltwater, very unexpected hitchhiker.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
LOL! I'm (justifiably) one of those people who could easily be accused of spending too much time watching my fish. My tanks are placed where I can watch them, and I check my fish daily. I stake out the BioCube for several hours on my days off, and this critter must know I'm looking for it because it won't move where I can get a clear view. I'm going to try baiting it out with some krill on my next day off.

I've really considered the 2 hitchhiker theory, but that's extremely rare - or so I've been told. It's still hiding in the rock, which indicates mantis. I know it's definitely a small shrimp.

Unfortunately I only have a small Cybershot camera, and no tripod. Might ask to borrow my sister's camera and tripod - something I've been considering. For some reason, my camera won't allow me to zoom in and get detailed pictures, and I'm wondering if the curved front of the BioCube is to blame on that.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
LOL! I'm (justifiably) one of those people who could easily be accused of spending too much time watching my fish. My tanks are placed where I can watch them, and I check my fish daily. I stake out the BioCube for several hours on my days off, and this critter must know I'm looking for it because it won't move where I can get a clear view. I'm going to try baiting it out with some krill on my next day off.

I've really considered the 2 hitchhiker theory, but that's extremely rare - or so I've been told. It's still hiding in the rock, which indicates mantis. I know it's definitely a small shrimp.

Unfortunately I only have a small Cybershot camera, and no tripod. Might ask to borrow my sister's camera and tripod - something I've been considering. For some reason, my camera won't allow me to zoom in and get detailed pictures, and I'm wondering if the curved front of the BioCube is to blame on that.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It really depends on the source of the rock. If it's from a store, more difficult to say, but I've ordered LR online and in the 150 pounds, there were 10+ mantis shrimp and pistols, and more small and not-so-small crabs than I could count. So...2 in a smaller chunk wouldn't be that unusual.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
My live rock came from my LFS. The rock is Fiji live rock, but there's a chance some of it came from someone else's tank, as my LFS also does tank maintenance and takes in donations from others either leaving the hobby or breaking down their tanks.

I saw the shrimp briefly the other night as I was feeding the fish, so tried to bait it out into the open with some mysis shrimp. It came out only far enough to grab the closest piece to its hiding spot, then quickly retreated. It's definitely green, and definitely a shrimp. I think this one is a pistol, because it reached a claw out to grab the food, and none of the images of mantis shrimp I've found show claws like that. It also looked like it was "feeling around" much like my peppermint shrimp does.

Still no luck with the trap, which is one of those plastic boxes with the individual swinging arms type door. My hermits get into the trap regularly and can easily get back out, and something has been able to push the arms apart in order to escape, so I don't think this trap is going to work. I'm looking into making my own.

Out of curiosity, how did you get rid of your hitchhikers?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
This is how I've arranged my live rock. I'm planning on keeping some easy care corals, and have already picked up a few. I may make minor changes to the "reef" if I find some smaller rock pieces I like better. The hitchhiker shrimp is living inside the large piece of rock that makes up the middle of the reef. I found out that it's one huge cave system, with a large crevice in the middle of the rock. The opening where I've seen most of the activity is the narrow heart shaped hole just above the clown that's facing the rock.

DSC07915.JPG

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Finally got a good look at the little monster.... Definitely a pistol shrimp! I've been using a coral feeder to put a few mysis shrimp outside the crevice it hides in, and tonight it sat there waiting, giving me a good look at its profile.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Great news! Much less destructive. :)

In terms of getting them out...in most cases, a FW dip will get them to abandon ship. For those that aren't discovered until they go in the tank, mixed. Traps usually don't work. Baiting and chasing with a net sometimes will, but are very frustrating. Dividing rock into multiple tanks to isolate the hitchhiker has worked best...provided you have the space and equipment. It's why I have a 20 with nothing but rock and a mantis that I haven't seen in 5 years but hear daily.

Yeah...

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Update.

The trap didn't work, but the little guy started poking his nose out where I could see him. Target feeding with a coral feeder kinda got him coming out for food. He is still in the rock. I've found molts floating around the tank, but still catch a glimpse of him in the rock when he's looking for food at feeding time. I have since added a tail spot blenny who has taken up residence in the same crevice as the shrimp, and no one seems to be squabbling. (The rock has multiple openings all connected within the rock structure - I think it was a huge piece of coral in a previous life.)

I'm now battling a horrible hair algae problem, but otherwise the fish are all fine.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
If it is a pistol shrimp it is OK for your tank. Why do you want it out?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Was just trying to ID it. Pistol was what I wanted (and I almost bought one). Mantis would mean big trouble!

I was kinda hoping the little guy would move to the substrate so I could get a goby partner and enjoy that dynamic. But he's staying in the rock, and seems OK sharing a crevice with the blenny. This has been going on for a month, so I don't think there's going to be a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store