Newbie: pH Mystery

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hapless1

AC Members
Jan 19, 2019
Denver Metro
I would still test the KH first see what you are dealing with. I see you have some tetras they do like the pH to be lower, you have a new tank so it still needs to mature and the pH will come down a bit. Any changes in pH need to be slow for the fish, so for the moment wood and leaves are good. pH has a logarithmic scale so from 7 to 6 is 10 times more acidic.
Thanks that's helpful. I have 3 Neon Tetras left (2 of whom died) + 1 black stripe Tetra+ 1 Black Phantom Tetra

Last edited:

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Just in case you don't know... don't get more fish until the tank is fully cycled. All of those tetras are schooling fish that need to be with at least 7 or 8 of their own species. Are you sure the tank is a 20 gallon? On the picture it looks just like a 10 gallon to me?

Hapless1

AC Members
Jan 19, 2019
Denver Metro
Just in case you don't know... don't get more fish until the tank is fully cycled. All of those tetras are schooling fish that need to be with at least 7 or 8 of their own species. Are you sure the tank is a 20 gallon? On the picture it looks just like a 10 gallon to me?
Yes it's a 20G (24x12x16). I realize now that I should not add anymore fish for quite a while. I was under the (mistaken) impression that adding the Safestart meant that I could go ahead and fully stock my tank. Adding too many at once was almost certainly my mistake.
I also know now that I should have more of the schooling fish, but also don't want to overstock, so we'll see. Certainly planning to add a few more Black Phantoms....

Hapless1

AC Members
Jan 19, 2019
Denver Metro
I'm afraid that the Neons were not really a great choice, as they seem likely to eventually get eaten as some of my other fish grow.
I also have an immature Paradise Fish, a Dwarf Blue Guaromi and (don't bite my head off) a currently small Angelfish.
I did not get a lot of guidance in my initial fish choice and have resigned myself to getting a larger tank as it becomes necessary for the Angel...

Hapless1

AC Members
Jan 19, 2019
Denver Metro
This morning after no air stone overnight, almond leaves in tank.
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
NO2: 0
No3: 0
Since my tap water is basic, I'm thinking I should not do anymore water changes unless my other parameters start going up.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Keep monitoring the water parameters... you've had an ammonia spike, nitrite spike is still coming up. Feed lightly, the "stomach" of those tetras is about the size of their eye.

Ps paradise fish are a subtropical fish

Reactions: Hapless1

Hapless1

AC Members
Jan 19, 2019
Denver Metro
Keep monitoring the water parameters... you've had an ammonia spike, nitrite spike is still coming up. Feed lightly, the "stomach" of those tetras is about the size of their eye.

Ps paradise fish are a subtropical fish
Ok, thanks for the warning. I will.

Keeping my tank at 74, everybody seems reasonably happy.
The Paradise Fish (Maryanne) is actually my favorite, wondering if I l'm going to have compatibility issues that mean I will need to re-home the angel (instead of jus sizing up tank)

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It would be a better idea to re-home the angel indeed as 74 is fine for the other fish but cooler as the angel would like it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, a 20g high is not enough tank for an angel.

Also, neons do better in cooler waterl. Cardinal tetras = warmer water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store