Newbie Question? Bristlenosed catfish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FBCoach

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Hello All,

I have a 50 US gal. tank that is almost complete with a fishless cycle. I have been reading about different fish to put in it and would like to have a male/female pair of bristlenose cats someday. I have read that they need bog wood in their diet. Is there a difference between bog wood and driftwood? If so where can I get bog wood?:confused:

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Coach

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Welcome to Aquarium Central! Home of the net's *sob* most inventive fishkeepers! (Hey guys, I tried.)

By definition, I believe bog wood is swamp wood. I don't know the difference.

But otherwise, is a britlenose catfish a britlenose pleco? Pleco's are catfishes, but... I thought britlenoses get pretty big, could you fit a pair in there without conflicts? Don't worry, I'm not asking you FBCoach, I'm asking anyone else who reads this. I understand that your main question is about the bogwood - you could post this on the 'General freshwater' forum as well.

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
Bristlenoses don't get very big. The tank is big enough for two.
I would imagine what they call bogwood is just a type of driftwood? I have two types of driftwood in my 55 gallon. I'm not sure if the Bristlenose is a woodeater or not but some types of plecos do gnaw on wood. If you check on the catfish forum, those guys can give you a better answer. There is at least one fellow over there who breeds bristlenoses. :)

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Bog wood is swamp, drift wood or whatever doesn't poison the tank. If you buy if from a shop it should be ok. A lot of plecos, inc. bristlenose, need the lignin, a subtance that's part of the wood, to keep their digestive systems working, so they tend to gnaw at it.
Bristlenoses get to a max of 12 or 13 cms so you are good for a pair in that tank. Mine are breeding at about 9 cms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store