Nitrite issue in seahorse tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Doxielover

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2015
I have had a seahorse tank set up for a few months now. This is not my first saltwater aquarium, I have two others that have been running longer.

My issue with this tank is the nitrites. I have been able to keep ammonia and nitrate at 0, but the nitrites keep going up to .50 despite water changes. I did a complete change yesterday, got it to 0, but today it is at .50 again. a couple days ago there was a spike in both nitrate and nitrate, BEFORE the major water change-since then I have been able to keep nitrate down at 0. the problem is only the nitrite. SO i guess my question is how can I get the nitrite down, and KEEP it down? Not looking to have seahorses with ammonia or nitrite poisoning, or having to constantly use additives to keep the water not toxic for the ponies. Would appreciate any advice

Thanks in advance

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It looks like your LR is not cured. Remove all your rocks to another tank to cycle.

Doxielover

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2015
the water in the live rock tub was at 0 ammonia. but i will try that, it couldnt do anything other than help. thank you. I had been doubtful it could have been the rock since it had been in its cycling tank for over a month. I will see if it helps though

Doxielover

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2015
just moved the rock and wow found food under it that I didnt know was there. Thank you for suggesting the rock removal! Now I know what the isue was. food that got UNDER the rock. Seahorses much happier now!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store