Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. We Have a NEW CHAT!!!!
    Dismiss Notice

No fish or tank yet, but some questions before I make purchases

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by cat887, Jan 8, 2017.

1. cat887

cat887 AC Members

Mar 22, 2017
    I've been looking into getting some fish. I'm currently a college student, so I don't have room for a large tank at this time, but I've selected two tanks that I think could work for me, and want to make certain they could work for the fish as well. One is a 2.5 gallon tank. The other is a 5 gallon tank. The fish that I'm thinking about is either a single beta fish or two to four guppies. I do have the room for a 10 gallon tank, but would prefer to not get one that large.

I am also wondering about what brand is best for filtration system. Does anybody know whether Tetra makes good filters for small size tanks? Also what would happen if I end up buying a filter for a tank larger than the size tank that I own?

Is heating absolutely necessary for guppies/beta fish? Some sources I've read say yes some say no. The temperature of the room I'm in is usually around 75 degrees, as I like it hot and do not have a roommate. If yes, what type of heater is best? I'm planning to invest in a thermometer at least.

In addition, I am wondering about what type of food beta fish eat. I was able to find some fish food advised for guppies, but was not able to find what type of food beta fish eat. Also, do beta fish do well alone? I've read that it's ill-advised to keep two males in the same container, but what about two females? I was able to find this information on guppies, but not on the beta fish.

I do not plan to breed the fish I get, they are solely for pets. I will be cycling the water before I purchase any fish. I'm interested in eventually getting koi fish once I have the room to properly take care of them, and figure that a simpler fish that takes less room will be good for learning how to best take care of fish.

2. Tifftastic

Tifftastic "With your powers combined . . ."

Tiff
    Yesterday at 1:54 PM
    Tiff
    Either size tank would be appropriate for a betta.
    For the guppies if you want 4 go with the 5 gallon. Additionally, only purchase males. Even if you get all females you will have babies as they will be already pregnant and have the ability to store sperm. You'll quickly be over run with baby guppies.

Small filters are available for those size tanks. The Tetra Whisper 3i is a small internal fliter with low flow that would be appropriate for either species. If you get one too big it will have a faster flow, so make sure it is adjustable as bettas and guppies do not swim well in currents due to their fins.

Yes both fish need a heater. Guppies are ok at 75, but the temp may drop at night or times of the day when you are gone. Bettas need the temp around 80. A thermometer is a must, a good in tank one too. Don't waste your money on the ones that stick to the glass as they read the temp of the glass not the water. You'll need a small submersible heater rated for your size tank.

You should be able to find commercially available betta pellets. They are called just that and many brands make them. Hikari is my preferred brand. They only need a couple pellets a day.

Betta males cannot be kept together or with females. Females can be kept together but not in the size tank you are going with and not always peacefully. It's best just to think of them as solo fish.

Just to reiterate, if you don't want to breed only purchase male guppies.

As far as koi, that's going to be a whole different thread. You're looking at needing hundreds of gallons for a single specimen.

3. cat887

cat887 AC Members

Mar 22, 2017
    Thanks for the information.

4. Tifftastic

Tifftastic "With your powers combined . . ."

Tiff
    Yesterday at 1:54 PM
    Tiff
  5. cat887

cat887 AC Members

Mar 22, 2017
    IMG_1774.JPG

Got 5 guppy babies (and a ten gallon tank to house them). Unfortunately, I don't know if they're male or female yet.

6. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:47 AM
    Even with small-ish guppies you may be able to see the male gonopodium (male sex organ). It's kinda like an extra straight fin along their bottom side near the vent ("poop chute"). Females also tend to grow larger, males more colorful. As they grow you may see a female "gravid spot" a dark area on the lower abdomen, that's a baby forming.