Noisy Timer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Hi,
I've been using Intermatic timers for my lights and co2, but after a month or so they get pretty noisy. Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive and silent timer? Thanks.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have several $5 timers from Target. I never notice any sound except for the "click" when they come on or off, no big deal to me. My only problem with them is they take up 2 outlets on a power strip.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too use regular "cheays" from hardware stores. Works well for me.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Digital ones are pretty silent... Except for the click of the relay turning on or off.

For the record we have 5 or 6 mechanical timers in the bedroom for a few years without issue or excessive noise

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I agree the regular timers can be noisy in a silent room, digital ones make no sound though. I get the cheapest ones from home depot and love them for a room where I really need silence.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I haven't found any full digital lamp timers that are what I'd consider cheap. OTOH, I agree that electro-mechanical timers tend to be noisy. I've got one on each of my 4 tanks.. All different makes/models. They all make make a whirring type noise. Nothing that's not overcome by the filtration noise though.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I cannot hear any of the mechanical timers unless I stick my head in the cabinet next to them... Same for the filters

But I guess cheap is relative. If you shop around they can be had for decent prices... For example check target clearance in January.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I get digital ones for under $15 from HD (I'd like cheaper but they are worth it) and in my main living room where I run 2 rena XP3 (silent!) the timers were the loudest thing and annoying. My filters are all VERY quiet though, loudest thing in my "fish room" (2nd floor living room) is the cheap pool cover pump I run in my 55g barrel where I age and heat my water and it does bug me lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store