Odor?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
The total numbers of bacteria in the tank, including the filter, are only up to the job of converting the waste produced by the current fishload.

If you remove a good proportion of them, you are going to have a deficit for a while whilst the filter reseeds.

There is an easy way to test whether this is the problem - test for ammonia and nitrite. If either of these is present, then you have a biofiltration deficit. This might also make the smell - hence my suspicions in this area.

What sort of cartridge regime you should adopt I can't say, not knowing the filter in question. If you post the make and model, others who do know will be able to help. We don't tend to have HOB filters here, but other US posters would be able to help, I imagine. I would suggest, however, that you should rinse the cartridge out - run tank water through it in the reverse direction to clean it, when it gets dirty.

wetmanNY

AC Members
If I could trust you not to overdose, I'd tell you to put 5cc hydrogen peroxide per ten gallons of tank water into the filter exit water. H2O2 is an oxidizer that oxidizes organic molecules. Add too much, or use it in water that's already very organics-free, and you'll burn gills.

Fresh carbon in your filter you've already done.

What's decomposing in your tank? Only you can tell.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
I am guessing that this is the 5 gallon tank you mentioned getting back in December. So, a few questions: what fish do you currently have in it, what is the brand of filter that you have running, and do you keep the fish food locked away so that there can be no unauthorized overfeeding when you are not looking?

kcdavebob

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Visit site
Well, the odor seems to be diminishing everyday. It is probably the carbon in the filter at work.

Thank you to everyone for all the good tips!!

I'm still not clear on the filter issue. Feel free to leave comments on this if you have them.

Thanks again!!

corvettekid82

AC Members
Feb 2, 2003
Deland FL
Visit site
Originally posted by kcdavebob

I'm still not clear on the filter issue. Feel free to leave comments on this if you have them.

Thanks again!!
Im no pro at it, but I've run 10 gallon tanks with penguin filters for 10-20 gallon tanks for as long as I can remember. I normally dont change the filter but 2-3 times a year. I will wash them out and rinse them in cool tap water about once every one and a half weeks once they are established however. I have lots of plants in my tanks though, and a large media bed (gravel) so Im sure they help with filtration too.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
as soon as you first said there was a 'smell' i immediately thought 'ammonia', as it has a very distinctive, horrid smell. a series of water changes should fix this problem - just cos the smells goin doesnt mean the ammonia is. keep an eye on the problem by testing the water, and aftr you have combated the ammonia watch out for a nitrite surge (or is that nitrate - i always get the 2 confused). either way, watch out for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store