Ohio Cichlid Association meeting online

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Hey everyone,

My local aquarium club the Ohio Cichlid Association (OCA) is having their January 2022 meeting virtually online January 7, 2022 at 8 PM EST.

The speaker will be Dr. Sam Bornstein from Michigan and his talk will be about his expedition to the Tapanahony River in Suriname.

Check it out on youtube @Ohio Cichlid Association or on their facebook page.

If you can't make it live, I'm sure they will have it posted on their youtube page so also check out their other videos from past events if you are interested.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's nice they're having a virtual meet. I can't watch today or maybe tomorrow, but I may try to catch up early next week. A fish travelogue sounds fun!

(BTW, I'm from MI originally so midwestern elbow bumps or whatever we do now :) )

Reactions: dudley
Apr 2, 2002
New York
The OCA annual event was my very first fish weekend back in 2003. But the 9-10 hour drive each way was more than I was willing to do ever again for a weekend. In fact, it was that weekend that caused me to put into place a 4 hour or so max. drive to get anywhere. But the event itself is a really good one and, once Covid recedes to where things are close to normal, folks should attend this event of possible.

My club went to Zoom meets in March of 2020 and did not resume live until this past Sept. I do not do Zoom and am not registered on Google. I do not have a camera in any of my monitors and do not have a microphone either. I am pretty much one who likes a live event or nothing. I guess I am still analog at heart. Oh well....

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I, for one, am incredibly happy that clubs went to online meetings during the pandemic; it has been an incredible gift to be able to listen to such a variety of speakers/lecturers that otherwise would not have been possible .

But I do also miss 'local' clubs too . T can probably attest but i was a member of his local club for a couple of years and it's a 3 or 4 hour drive each way in an evening. We still belong to a club 4 hours away and will go when it is safe to do so..

?

There's huge difference between the online aquarium club meetings and your usual YouTube fayre though.

Everyone should give local clubs a try if they havent, on or offline .

(Thanks for posting Dudley!)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
While I have driven as far as 4 hours to a couple meets back in my East Coast discus days, I don't think I'd do it any more. Most of my "local" meets are an hour+ away & often run past my bedtime :oops:. I appreciate online speakers these days but often forget to tune in.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I am not suggesting anybody should not view or attend online meetings. I just have no interest in doing so. For one I am not registered with Google (by choice) so I cannot participate on Youtube, I can only watch. I have no interest in downloading Zoom or any similar software. So for me it is live meetings or no meetings. However, I am within a couple of years from having no tanks at all. OK maybe one smaller one....

Here is the other factor. In the hobby I do what I do and that is what interests me. I have never and will never have sw tanks. So when a speaker is presenting on sw, I do not attend that talk. Since I have 0 interest in the Jan. online talk at the OCA meeting, I have no reason to tune in or to view it after the fact. I am the same at some of my club meetings. However, a live meeting has discussions, a regular small auction and the chance to sell some of my stuff. So there is a lot more to the live meeting than just the speaker.

Again, this is just this fish keepers approach, I am not suggesting others should fell the same as i do. I encourage to as many of you as possible to participate. it helps keep clubs strong and they are a great asset to the hobby.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, I have to say I did attend an in person meet of the "other" big SF club once & it was bad, lol. We were given 3D glasses & had loud music. But it was about an African cichlid species that pretty much sat still. The focus changed but the fish didn't move much if at all. We saw some fry, but gee whiz, it was long & boring...I think I wasn't the only 1 gritting my teeth for it to get over, sheesh. I felt a bit bad & maybe embarrassed for the presenter & his family on such a lame talk... not that I'm saying I could do better...ugh. I think my friend & I left soon after the auction started.

I have seen some good online talks about subjects I'm interested in several times. But I'm picky, no SW, no Africans ever again, lol & never 3D glasses!

Reactions: dougall
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store