Old filters : good & bad

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks for your kind offer & laughs for today. Don't look for it for me, if an O ring doesn't do it, well...it'll get a note & a spot in the garage just in case I find others & need it someday, the motor works!

I always feel better about my equipment hoarding knowing I'm not the only 1 :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I sensed a challenge ;)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ya know, It should have been a hint that something was wrong, but both filters seemed a bit louder than I remembered. I didn't check them on the tank after I tested them off. But I'd had NO filtration at all for weeks in the Whisper's case; months for the AC & the water level wasn't to the top. I'm just glad I noticed when I did.

I'm guessing the intake is not quite fully seated on yours. Mine are very old, so I'm not sure if they're quite the same anymore but they're similar. Both Whispers & especially AC's can have the lids rattle too. I often have a rock on ACs' lids.

I never really noticed either being loud but I've had both types for many! years, so it may not be something I even hear, like white noise or something.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Mine is brand new. It's the new Tetra Whisper model. I owned a Whisper 2 filter YEARS ago back when WIllinger Brothers made them, and I seem to recall them being dead silent. This one is just loud.

Lots of Amazon reviews with negative comments about the noise level.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's too bad they've gone down hill. I'm guessing mine is from the old co.

Have you tried contacting Tetra or just returning it to the store? you never know unless you try.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Petsmart will only take the filter back if it's in "sellabe" condition, which no filter is, once you insert the filter cartridge. I paid $12.00 for it on sale, so I am not going to cry about it.

I still want to find an old original Whisper 1 or 2 power filter and buy it off someone.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, some of us have a stash of old equipment, lol. But I've only ever had Whisper 3 & 4s.

Ebay or Aquabid? You never know...

Or maybe the "clean out shenanigans challenge" at the OrionGirl/dougall house will net you a filter & add incentive!! myswtsins is also a hoarder, lol! Maybe Bob Bishop too. & that's all the fingers I'm pointing for now...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If we get the time...but I know that days from now until next Monday are already filled with stuff.

Plus there is a LOT down there.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Gonna go to the BCAS meeting tomorrow Mr. Apastuszak?

I would be willing to spelunk during tomorrow to see if there are any old Whisper filters down there, I have no idea if the state , but would imagine cleaning to be needed. Nor am I sure all bits would be there.. it's been quite some time since I had any urge to use a HOB filter.

Same deal for Ms. Myswtsins... If you are going to the NHAGC thing in Saturday, I would be more than happy to deliver random fish stuff to you too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store