one small dead fish - remove or let the shrimp eat it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
hey all, i had a female perugiae livebearer pass away some time last night. no sign of disease or injury. she was a heavy breeder and i think life span was shortened due to that. her body has floated over to the val jungle that my red cherry shrimp hang out in and they are now munching on the body. the tank is a 55 gallon well planted with two large hob filters. ammonia and nitrite readings are at zero.

leave the dead fish in there for the shrimpies to nosh on or take it out n flush it?

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
if they have the body eaten in a day or so, i wouldnt worry about it, but keep an eye on your ammonia readings.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
We talking a 1-2" fish? I'd say in a 55 you can let the shrimp and any snails have at their feast...

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
lol @ "nosh"

Just out of curiosity did you test the water for A & N when you found her?

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
lol @ "nosh"

Just out of curiosity did you test the water for A & N when you found her?
yes, and i noted that in my opening post. ammonia and nitrites have been continuously at zero since i found her. i've tested 5 times since then just to be sure! lol.

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
My apologies. I somehow overlooked the obvious there lol If you haven't gotten an A spike then I'd say leave it in there. You'll get to see the stages of decomposition which could come in handy in the future.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
you won't really be hurting anything, but at the same time it won't really be helping anything either. I'd just take it out and flush it.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
well the shrimpies seem to be done their noshing, so lil miss deceased went for a plumbing ride postmortem, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store