Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on some DIY lighting I am trying out

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by apastuszak, Mar 19, 2017.

1. apastuszak

apastuszak AC Members

Andy
    Today at 7:58 AM
    Andy
    Camera Used:
    iPhone 5S
    Aquarium lighting, in my opinion, is ridiculously overpriced. So I am always looking for a DIY solution that will allow me to light up my tank for far less than store bought lights. And, I would like them to at least help grow some types of plants.

So, I came across these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Solla-Flood-2250LM-5500-6500K-Waterproof/dp/B019O1H3RS

[​IMG]

I attached a PC power cord to it and plugged it in. The light seems nice and bright and the product description claims it's 5500K-6500K, which should be a good range for plant growth.

I'm curious if anyone else has used this kind of light, or perhaps might be able to read the description on Amazon and offer an opinion on the light.

2. apastuszak

apastuszak AC Members

Andy
    Andy
    Camera Used:
    iPhone 5S
  3. Bunsen Honeydew

Bunsen Honeydew AC Members

Today at 11:49 AM
    I have a 92 corner tank and I use 2 of these to try and hit the back of the tank. I think that I should have went with 2 20w lights in stead of the 10 w lights that I got, but they seem to do OK. I have seen them around, and the "King of DIY" on youtube has had success with them. My under powered ones are nice for allowing me to simulate sunrise/sunset, though in a step wise fashion.
    [​IMG]

4. apastuszak

apastuszak AC Members

Andy
    Andy
    Camera Used:
    iPhone 5S
    The newer version of the light came in today. I plugged it in and now have 60W of LED light on this tank. I have to say, this thing will grow plants. I have a low tech tank with east to grow plants. But everything has new leaves on it now.

And the tank is REALLY BRIGHT now with two of those lights on there.

Overall, I'm impressed. I don't know how it would do in a high tech tank, but you could, in theory, smack 2 50W flood lights on a long tank, and get 8,000 lumens of light for $75.00. Or do 4 30W lights across a 55 gallon for 9600 lumens of light for $84.00.

I think that's a pretty good deal.

5. Bunsen Honeydew

Has anyone measured PARs for these?

6. apastuszak

apastuszak AC Members

Andy
    Andy
    Camera Used:
    iPhone 5S
    The King of DIY did a video on lights like this. He didn't have a par meter, but he used a Lux meter and the 60W version measure really close to his Kessil light.

7. apastuszak

apastuszak AC Members

Andy
    Andy
    Camera Used:
    iPhone 5S
    Here is a pic of the tank with the two flood lights on it. The tank is a bit of a mess and really needs a rescape to look even half decent. But hopefully this gives you an idea of how the light looks. Took this with my iPhone 6S. No retouching. No flash. All lights off except the ones on the tank.

[​IMG]

8. Bunsen Honeydew

I referenced that vid earlier, and was actually why I was asking.☺️

9. dougall

dougall ...

Today at 5:59 AM
    I'm personally more of a fan of having a variable light spectrum,

My concern would be the lighting beam angle being 120 degrees, and how the plants/tank physically look under this light. 120* is good for a flood light, but for an aquarium you would probably prefer the majority of the light being directed into the tank, I'm personally much cooler with 60 or 90 (as an example)

The lighting being 5500 - 6000K doesn't really give a good impresion of the CRI of the light, or the actual spectrum.. it's more of an anverage of how all the wavelengths of light will work together.

if it's working for you.. it's great.. there's no doubt it will grow plants. But I doubt it would be something I'd actually buy unless it was for a tank being used to farm or grow out plants... not as a display.

But in the end, it's all about what works :)

10. Bunsen Honeydew

I put my 2 10 W spots on my kids' 20 high, and they look pretty good IMO.