Orange and black tetra cannot swim

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dreamweaver219

AC Members
May 23, 2006
texas
While watching Tv this morning i noticed that one of my orange and black tetras was swiming in circles.She was swiming fine then suddenly began swiming in circles,upside down and on her side.Its like she can only use one fin.Her tail fin is aimed somewhat downwards......it just curves down...just a tad.She is still eating and i have put her in a cup, away from the other fish.i have no quarentine tanks.I was wondering........is something wrong with her swim blatter..parasite...or could she have been damaged by another fish.....broken tail?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I think it's swim bladder, wich is incurable (in both my expierience and my research).

Just to clarify something here, is this:

your "orange and black tetra"?

If so, it's a tiger barb.

dreamweaver219

AC Members
May 23, 2006
texas
Ugh, well that bites....can the other fish get it?Should i just flush her alive? lol she's still kicking...in circles of course.

And no lol my fish have no stripes.They look sort of like the phantom picture i have here, only the colors are in reverse.They are orange with black on their fins and a black triangle on their sides.I have noooo clue what type of tetra they are.The place of purchase had the name writen in marker on the outside of the tank, the only words i could make out was...tetra and $1.99.lol,I couldn't find a piture online so i made a drawing...dont laugh too hard.

Megalamphodus_s.jpg tetra2.JPG

Last edited:

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
serpae tetra?

No, your other fish can't get it, but they will probably start picking on her. I personally would never flush any fish, live or dead, do you want whatever your fish had to be transfered to local ecosystem?

You have the choice of:

let her die

enthuanzize her(in a humane matter).

Last edited:

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
well, theres an aricle about it here, but as said in posts after the article it's self, clove oil is really humane way of doing it.

But personally, I would let it live for atleast another day or two before enthuanzizeing it. IME, the fish will be dead in about 12-24 hours after showing those symptoms.

dreamweaver219

AC Members
May 23, 2006
texas
yes, i have chosen to let her live it out...she is still alive and is eating as we speak.I have her in a fish net that is setting in the opening of the tank.I raise the net out of the water a little, to make less water in the net so that she can eat.Poor lil gal.

serpae tetra appears to be the correct one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store