Orange/rust colored deposits on filter. [Not Algae]

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Margaret C

AC Members
Oct 27, 2018
I did a 2/3 water exchange recently because I had to get water levels down to clean class of algae. I rinsed ceramic noodles with water from aquarium, changed out the carbon for new *Marineland brand, changed out the Phosgard, treated new water with normal chemicals for chlorine, etc., I also run a green killing machine.
The next morning I noticed there was orangey/rust colored deposits on the filter. [I have a bio cube and when I open the lid the filter is right there]. I have since changed the filter three times and am still seeing this stuff. Does anyone have any idea what may be the cause? The perimeters for water are fine, just checked them again.
I have never seen this before would like to understand what's going on if possible.
Thanks

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Do you have any photos?

Reactions: FishAddict74

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Photos would certainly help figure it out.
By the way, in most cases, carbon, phosguard and the green killing machine (don’t know what that is) are not really necessary. Why do you feel you need any of that other than because the store suggested it?
Please don’t mind my bluntness.

Reactions: FishAddict74
Apr 2, 2002
New York
The Green Killing machine is a Petco UV product. UV is not a simple plug an play device and cannot be turned into a simple product one just hooks up and has it work. I have a small UV unit I rarely use except when there is a need. But I learned about UV here and if you have a read you will see what I mean. It will teach you about all the considerations that should be used in selecting the proper UV unit for any given situatiom- dwell time, turnover rate, hardware design and even bulb types are all covered as well as clarifying vs. Level 1 & 2 sterilization.
https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

The average tank does not need a UV sterilizer. It also should not need the Phosguard. Both of these things are normally used in response to a specificially identified and confirmed issue. Carbon is also usually used in response to a specific need such as removing meds or because there something in our tap water with which we need to deal.

Next you might be seeing two different things. One would be diatoms and the other would be algae.

I would also like you to read another article I feel is one of the best I have read on how filtration works in nature and then how we do the best we can to replicate that in our tanks.
http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/aquarium-biofiltration/
(I am a bit biased here as I know the author, Dr. Stephan Tanner, and I use the Poret foam sold on his site.)

Reactions: NoodleCats

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
(I am a bit biased here as I know the author, Dr. Stephan Tanner, and I use the Poret foam sold on his site.)
Awww T,

You are such a namedropper ;)

But I would concur on Dr Tanner being a source of incredible information and someone whose advice I will take without question.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store