Oscar fish Laying at bottom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vaibhav deore

Registered Member
Jun 4, 2024
Hello Guys
i bought new Oscars form shop, out of 3 Oscar fish 2 are fine and playing well
but one oscar is laying at bottom only comes to surface when i play or feed

Please help how can i recover my fish

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Hello Guys
i bought new Oscars form shop, out of 3 Oscar fish 2 are fine and playing well
but one oscar is laying at bottom only comes to surface when i play or feed

Please help how can i recover my fish
I don’t think it’s sick or injured, Oscar’s and many other SA/CAs are know to lay on their sides. Could be stress or it could just be trying to lay low. I have a 13” Midas that does this too

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Before just writing this off to normal, a lot of additional info should be provided. I'm surprised FishAddict completely ignored requesting needed information.

Tank size?
Current readings from a good liquid test kit?
Maintenance routine?
Other tank mates?
How long tank has been well established.

50 years owning tanks and maintaining fish ...lways with CA/SA's....have NEVER experienced them just laying on the bottom on their sides.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Before just writing this off to normal, a lot of additional info should be provided. I'm surprised FishAddict completely ignored requesting needed information.

Tank size?
Current readings from a good liquid test kit?
Maintenance routine?
Other tank mates?
How long tank has been well established.

50 years owning tanks and maintaining fish ...lways with CA/SA's....have NEVER experienced them just laying on the bottom on their sides.
I’ve been keeping fish since 1986 and I’ve seen new worlds do this many times, my 13” Midas is doing this right now as I’m typing this. Almost every Oscar I’ve had has done this behavior. He just bought the 3 Oscar’s, so they’re most likely 2” or less since that’s the size theyre usually sold at, so unless they’re in a 10g, tank size is probably irrelevant ATM. 2 of the 3 are behaving “fine”, so I doubt it’s a parameter thing. It’s probably how it’s hiding while dealing with the stress of a new environment.

IMG_3521.jpeg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yikes. 3 oscars in the same tank? I hope its a very large tank and you are prepared to change lots of water and often.

In regards to an O laying on the bottom, like said above, they can pout and be wimpy things if they're not happy with their surroundings.

Laying on the bottom due to illness is another matter. FWIW, I recently had to put down my 12yr/old oscar due to old age health problems.

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Yikes. 3 oscars in the same tank? I hope its a very large tank and you are prepared to change lots of water and often.

In regards to an O laying on the bottom, like said above, they can pout and be wimpy things if they're not happy with their surroundings.

Laying on the bottom due to illness is another matter. FWIW, I recently had to put down my 12yr/old oscar due to old age health problems.
Lol ya he’s gonna need a 300 if he plans on 3 Oscar’s for life, a 125 would probably be sufficient for a couple years though IMO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store