Oscar help... (pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I made the mistake the other day of dropping a whole freeze dried tubifex worm cube into the O and Sev tank. The O just about bounced off the glass top to gobble the cube. 10sec later, he pumped the whole thing out his gills. Ugh... Mercifully, the sev cruised about eating all he could of it.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Live earthworms are also a great addition to an Oscar's diet. You just have to make sure you get them from an uncontaminated source (I dug my own). Cichlid sticks are ok to feed, but you don't want to make them the only thing you feed your Oscar. Freeze dried or frozen, thawed krill, chopped shrimp, earthworms, dried preparations should all be part of an Oscar's diet. I would not feed them feeder goldfish purchased at the pet shop. These are often contaminated with disease and parasites.

Mark

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Very wise having a compatible clean-up crew in with your O! Don't you love when they decide to pump out what they just gobbled through their gills? Ugh.. My severum on the other hand will keep everything in and puff out like a Jiffy Pop is you let it.

An age thing....

jiffy.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Bob, how'd you get a picture of my severum? lol!!!

Yeah, I'm kinda old. 44, going on 78.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
i would use the old euthnise the molly in cold water death in about 5-10 seconds than stuff the molly full of pellets.though that would be messy and cruel but i would pound up the pellets then pour it in the molly's mouth.and then after a week or so pour a bit of water over a lot of pellets so it looks like a molly then let it dry.after that throw it in but some how make it move like a live fish.
I'm sorry, but what? :lol:

Once he has gotten use to the tank, you, and hopefully the HITA is better, try soaking pellets in Garlic Guard if he still isn't taking them. I would cut out all the beef heart and live fish. Do try live crickets. Feed the crickets cichlid pellets and carrots. I would be surprised if it won't take those.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i was hoping that post would die but you brought it back up.can no one bring it back up please?

devonb

AC Members
Dec 29, 2014
i would use the old euthnise the molly in cold water death in about 5-10 seconds than stuff the molly full of pellets.though that would be messy and cruel but i would pound up the pellets then pour it in the molly's mouth.and then after a week or so pour a bit of water over a lot of pellets so it looks like a molly then let it dry.after that throw it in but some how make it move like a live fish.
Lol, this is the strangest and most amusing way I've heard of getting large fish onto pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store