oscars seem to have a hole next to their gills?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

e210benz

AC Members
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
2 of them have this, there had been problems with their health recently but things are getting, before they sratch themselves on the gravle and had slime on them, well its better now but it is bad, the size hasn;'t got bigger but just looks like a hole..

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Don't know what type of rot it is, but I recommend getting some type of parasite/ich treatment in there asap. I'm currently treating my Mono for ich using this clear liquid called "Aquarisol". I've seen it recommended on these boards before. Just follow the directions (add the correct amount and raise the water temps to 85F). Repeat daily for at least 5 days or until the problem's gone. If it's ich I have used Ich Guard II before and it does the trick without having to raise the water temps. 85F can be a little high for some fish, but the Oscars would be fine (if that's all you have in that tank).

As for helping the wounds heal, I'll defer that to more experienced members.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
First of all get some pics or describe the wound thing more because i dont know what kind of disease it is. but a pic woul‚„ help out tremendously, but after primary symptom is gone i would treat with melafix for secondary infections.

Last edited:

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
sounds like hole in the head to me. If it is then it is because of bad water parameters. please post your ph, gh, kh, temperature and amonia, nitrite and nitrate readings.

also what size tank are they in, how big are they, and how often do you do water changes?

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Would you desscibe the holes as being in the gill covers?

Holes in the gill covers are a fairly clear symptom of fish tuberculosis, and also Aeromonas bacterial infections according to a goldfish reference.
Either case is bad news- tuberculosis isn't treatable and while the bacterial infection can respond to antibiotic injections they say the holes never close up.
They recommend you treat for any parasites, keep super clean water, stable temps and good aeration.

Info from "Fancy Goldfish".

e210benz

AC Members
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
i know its not hole in the head cause i have had them for 2 months and have feed them live food twice. it seems to be like what stoopid said, the medicine i got it for rid of parasite/ich, they had some slime and also went going crazy and got cuts from rolling around on the gravel and decrocations, i took the water up to 85-86 which they seem to love and are more active, the slimes seems to be going away, one of them the hole is under his mouth and the other is close to the gills and or on the gill flap but i don't think its anything to serious cause one had it when i got him, besides how do you know if its a him or her?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store