Otocinclus Safe for fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PikeLee

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
NY
www.freewebs.com
I'm trying to breed some fish in a planted tank. But I need a algae eater that can help with the maintainence of the tank. I tried the bristlenose, but he creates too much waste if you know what I mean.

I heard that the Otocinclus is a good choice for planted tanks. But is this guy also safe around fry and eggs? I don't want to get him and then find out later that my fry or eggs are missing due to this guy.

Fishwheels

Registered Member
Dec 23, 2002
Abbotsford BC Ca.
Visit site
Hey Otos are great and dont hurt anything but they hate being alone. 3 are best.:) :) Once established they do a super job and even have young of their own if in a well planted tank
Happy New Year !

PikeLee

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
NY
www.freewebs.com
Happy New Year to you too FW.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that Otos behave well around eggs. I was scared that they might eat the eggs. The otos were kind of my last hope of getting an Algae Eater that's good for planted tanks, small, and safe for eggs and fry.

I got one last question...do they produce a lot of waste like Plecos?

PikeLee

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
NY
www.freewebs.com
If them things put out their share of waste, I'm not sure about getting 3 of them. Maybe 2. I only have a 30g and I'm trying to set up a "Low-Tech" Tank. I don't know how, but I'm going to try. I would use the Amano shrimp if they weren't so expensive and if my Dwarf Pikes would stop trying to eat them.

Cheers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store