over fed or parasite?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
I just noitced one of my cory's has a white stingy poop looking thing... Did I happen to over feed toady? or should I medicate?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Did you feed live, frozen or freeze dried worms? Sometimes the outer casing is not fully digested. I wouldn't worry too much if it's just the 1 time. But if it continues or you're not feeding worms, meds might be a good idea.

I've rarely treated fish & corys can be sensitive to some drugs. Praziquantil/Metronidizole combo (some have both, some have only 1) OR flubendazole might be in order. I don't know if those are easily available in Canada...

When I have drugged fish (mostly loaches with Levamisol or flubendazole only), I tend to do a half dose & wait 8-12 hours to add the other half. I watch for signs of distress: fast breathing, paleness, red gills, lethargy or anything that looks "off". Be ready to do a large water change. They may or may not eat normally but a few days fast won't hurt them either. Watch carefully if you go that route & redose as indicated on the label.

You might look at planetcatfish, that my "go to" for solid info on cats.

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
She's acting normal, and yes I did feed some freeze dried worms. I'll keep my eye on her behavior . Thanks :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I absolutely hate!! tubifex worms in any form...but especially freeze dried! That's just my experience from many years ago. If that's what you've been feeding., STOP now! I'm not a huge fan of freeze dried blood or black worms for most fish, but I did use them as part of a huge variety I fed juvenile discus. Too floaty for my bottom feeders even with long soaking.

Sorry, this is 1 of my soapbox issues.

Good luck!

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Yeah I am not going to feed them these anymore. I dont think they really liked it anyways lol
Just sticking to wafers flakes and pellets

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sorry for the rant! But keep an eye on the cory's poop. & be ready to treat if needed.

Can you get the drugs I mentioned in Canada? I also post on a Euro-centric board & they often can't...

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
I have seacgem para gaurd... Do you know what brand you use?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've never used Para Guard but I "think" it may be both prazi & metro...look it up...Google has the answers you need, I just don't know.

I'm a flubendazole/Levamizole loach QT doser & I rarely get new fish...Take that for what it means, I don't know... As I said, check planetcatfish & corys & safe meds

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store