Overflow Box Location

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

femurphy77

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
A year or so back I purchased a Glassholes 1500 in and out overflow for my 180 gallon tank. I'm ready to start the installation but my most basic question has yet to be answered; where to drill the holes??? Actually where do I install the overflow and the returns; center the overflow in the middle of the tank with a return on each end or both returns on one end with the overflow on the other? I've been studying it for a few days now and can't find a definitive answer. TIA!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It really depends on the layout of your tank.. and where you want the most flow. One size does not fit all.

Another big part of the equation will be how the plumbing to the filter will be..the more turns in your hoses/PVC or whatever will mean more head.. and then you may need a bigger pump.

If you are using a 5 foot sump (for example) match the holes to where they will go to/from the sump.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Asking questions over holiday weekends usually means not many will see it, and once it's off the new post page, it's even less likely to get answered.

In terms of the locations...There isn't a definitive answer because it will depend on where the sump will go. You want the out-flow lines to be as straight a shot as you can make them, and then minimize the number of turns and distance of the return as best as you can. If the drain has bends, you risk air bubbles blocking the water movement, and turns and such in the return line reduce flow rate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store