Overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lefky

AC Members
Original poster
Apr 14, 2019
I currently have a cycled 20g long tank. I think my tank will be overstocked but I have been keeping up with my WC’s (2/3 a week each 25%). I currently have: 1 BR Pleco, 1 honey gourami, 2 hatchetfish, 5 neon tetras, and 4 green corys. I was thinking of adding 2 female gouramis, 1 male GBR, and 2-3 more hatchetfish. I know there is a temp difference but my tank is already at 80F without a heater since I live in the desert. I dont have anywhere to move the neons but they have been healthy for 1-2 months already. I have a bunch of live plants and plan on stocking more. What do you all think? (Not sure what type of gourami)

91B9A9DF-26C5-49C8-A65F-A1C5EF5AEE8F.jpeg

C27B39EA-89AA-4EFF-B98F-E39238145984.jpeg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Nice looking setup! Based on the pic, that's a 20gallon high tank, not a long. I would not add more gourami. I'd add more hatchets, or more neons, or more corys. All of those do better in larger numbers, but you're limited here, so you can't add more of all of them in my opinion.

In terms of water changes, once the tank is established and verified with your liquid test kit, I'd do one large weekly water change vs several small changes.

Lefky

AC Members
Original poster
Apr 14, 2019
Nice looking setup! Based on the pic, that's a 20gallon high tank, not a long. I would not add more gourami. I'd add more hatchets, or more neons, or more corys. All of those do better in larger numbers, but you're limited here, so you can't add more of all of them in my opinion.

In terms of water changes, once the tank is established and verified with your liquid test kit, I'd do one large weekly water change vs several small changes.
Alright sweet! The dimensions are 24x12x16. I did not really want to buy more hatchets since you cant really see them, my tank is at waist level on a table. And the 2 I already have constantly chase each other. My neons already chase each other all the time. I read Honey gouramis do better in groups of 3+.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store