pacific tree frogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
frogs are awesome! :D I was feeding some firebelly toads one time and two were going for the same cricket and one of them ended up with the other's head stuffed in its mouth! :laugh:

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Hey, I’ve had a few frogs in my days, so I suppose I can give you a few pointers (I currently own a Pacman Frog http://www.livingunderworld.org/gallery/photos/anura/leptodactylidae/ceratophrys/ornata/)

First off, don’t use the 10gal tank yet, esp if they just went through their metamorphosis. You can find a small terrarium at your local pet store (generally rectangular, have very colorful plastic ventilated tops, cant recall what there called....vivariums?). A froglet will have a much harder time finding its food in a 10gal, so its going to be cheaper and easier to keep them both in a small 1.5-2gal vivarium (smaller, if its easier). Sphagnum moss is good when your frogs are big enough to eat small crickets. But for now, you might want to consider just a layer of moist paper towel (I know it’s not pretty, but it’s easier to take care of them, and easier to clean). Most of the vivariums will come with a small light on the top, and you can keep your frogs in the vivarium until they are eating normal sized crickets. For now you’re all set with fruit flies and pinhead crickets.

Fruit flies are incredibly easy to raise. I’m presuming you already know how to raise them(?) Pinhead crickets can generally be bought offline, try: http://www.edsflymeatinc.com or www.skipio.com for some maggots, although gross, they make an excellent food source for froglets

Pacific Tree frogs are incredibly tame; I used to own two that would eat crickets out of my hand. Although this is cool, it can lead to overfeeding if you’re not careful.

Just a quick question: is your 10gal vertical or horizontal? Generally Tree frogs do best in a vertical tank, but vertical tanks are harder to clean, so if you have a horizontal you’ll be fine.

any questions you might have id be happy to answer, i love frogs

Cool little frogs, by the way. And good luck, they're a blast! :D

Last edited:

lesley

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sacramento/Davis, California
Visit site
Thanks, uh... Poo :)

The froglets were kept in one of those plastic things for about a month past metamorphosis. They seem to be doing okay in the ten gallon, though i do watch pretty carefully to make sure that they get all of the flies I put in and that the flies don't escape. I think it helps too, that I'm feeding the flightless kind.

The type of tree frogs that I have are evidently more terrestrial than other types of tree frogs and there is debate about whether they should actually be classified as chorus frogs as opposed to tree frogs. (They are the native ones that probably occur near you as well, since I notice that you are also in CA.)

Thanks for your tips, I have taken those things into consideration.

By the way, did you take the SEM that you are using as your avatar? I have done some SEM myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store