Panda Cory Catfish Care

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
I want to keep panda cory catfish. can you give me tips on how to keep them. they always die on me.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Feed them a good diet consisting of live and frozen foods (always best) and keep up on water changes. Temperature 74 or so. Keep them on sand.

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
I dont have sand but my brother has done fine on gravel with his. Can I feed them frozen bloodworrms?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Fine gravel is also fine. Yes you can feed them frozen bloodworms. They are not picky in foods, but keep up good water quality.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Frozen bloodworms are fine although they should not be fed daily.

I would recommend to change to sand. Its best for the fish. Corydoras can easily injure themselves on the gravel while they scrounge around for bits and bobs.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
That is a persistent myth about them injuring their barbels on gravel. Sand kills more cories due to the anaerobic areas which it promotes and they can easily get to, in combination with it being terrible to vacuum. They can easily root around in 2mm to 3mm gravel, it's easy to clean and the right consistency for plants as well.

Reactions: CichlidFins

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
That is a persistent myth about them injuring their barbels on gravel. Sand kills more cories due to the anaerobic areas which it promotes and they can easily get to, in combination with it being terrible to vacuum. They can easily root around in 2mm to 3mm gravel, it's easy to clean and the right consistency for plants as well.
Wierd how they are on sand in the amazon basins ;)

As far as I know Corydoras spp. take up sand with their mouths and spit out the sand via the gills to search for food, as a natural behaviour.
They can easily damage their barbels on gravel by pushing their barbels too deep in search for food which I have seen a number of times.

But it all comes down to the texture and size of the substrate ;)

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
I changed out my gravel and I have 2mm gravel i think. So would that be fine? Also, Do you know where you can find live bloodworms?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
2mm gravel is fine, they can sift through that as well. They don't damage their barbels on gravel coarse or fine, it's just that they are unable to sift through the gravel it is too coarse.

Reactions: CichlidFins

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
okay

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store