Paradise Fish and Kribs??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I'm adding this to this forum too..I'm not getting answers in the cichlid forum.
I got 2 paradise fish to put in my krib tank..Is this ok?
I have the water at perfect conditions for community fish...but the kribs seem fine in it.
I got 2 black paradise fish about the same size-maybe a little bigger- then the smallest krib.

flamommy

Registered Member
Feb 8, 2003
Florida
Visit site
hi

I dont have a answer for you, dont know much about those fish, but I noticed at the bottom of your message you have "go bucs" are you from the Tampabay area?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Two Paradise Fish? My immediate gut reaction is TAKE ONE BACK!!! They are notorious for being nasty to conspecifics, and, unless they are both female, you will have one killing another, or both of them dying at the same time. For further info, AFM (Aquarium Fish Monthly) magazine has a pretty good article on Paradisefish in its Feb. '03 issue. Best of luck.

I should state that I do not know much about how Kribs will take having an Anabantoid in their tank, especially at breeding time, but this anticipated aggression might not be a bad thing if you are looking for "target fish" to keep things peaceful amongst the Kribs.

mwood322

AC Members
Well, I've had Paradise Fish adn Kribs, though not together.

The paradise Fish I agree about finding out if either both are female, or you have a male female pair. If both are male you will end up with one, they are notorious at that. If you have a pair I might worry about the kribs. If you think kribs are mean when breeding you haven't seen Paradise Fish. My pair took all their tankmates and herded them into a square about 4 inches by 2 inches in the back corner of their tank when they decided to breed.

Overall I probably wouldn't worry about the kribs beating up the paradise fish, but the paradise fish might chase the kribs, again depending on whether you have a male-female pair.

Also, there are at least 3 varieties of paradise fish, blue, albino, and black, also with a redder version of the blue paradise fish. As far as I know care of each is the same.

--Mia

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I got the paradise fish from an all female tank at my lfs. I knew they can get pretty mean, but my kribs have taken on 6" chocolate plecos, and totally destroyed their fins.
They are still getting used to the tank, but I think their getting better, the male krib has chased them every-once-in-a-while.
I know their both females now, I looked on a site, I Xed out befor I could get the name, but it told me how to sex the paradise fish,
but they have brought out the true breeding colors of my male, he's usually pretty drab, but he's got his red on his stomach, and the dark black and yellow.
I'm going to get a digital camera from my freind and I'll try to figure out how to get pictures. I'll post some kribs and paradise fish pictures.

flamommy: I live in Des Moines,Iowa, but I used to live in Tampa, so I still like DA BUCS!!, but I need to change it, because they already WON!!!

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
That really depends on what Paradise Fish you have.

Macropodus Opersularis are very agressive and territorial - and you should only have one male per aquarium.

M concolor and m. ocellatus are less agressive - but like many fish territorial during breeding.

And if you happen to have any of the SPike Tail Paradise Fish (Pseudosphromenus Cupanas or Dayi) - then they are very peaceful .

As far as keeping them with kribs - I have a couple male P. Dayi (Day's Spike Tail Paradise Fish) in my tank with several different dwarf cichlid species. While I don't have kribs, I do have a related, rarer pair of Pevicachromis Taeniatus Nigerain Green (much more colorful IMO than basic kribs) - and there is no problem whatsoever with the peacful spiketail paradise fish in that tank. So I wouldn't hbe hesitant about mixing them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store