Parrot fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lethalp

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I have seen these Parrot fish in my lfs, as well as Petsmart and Petco. (Idon't have any) The ones in Petco were called Cotton Candy. Are these different kinds? Anyone know anything about them?

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
I have several parrots that are probably 4" or so. they are doing great. Parrots are man made fish ......a cross between a red devil and severum. Anyway here on Ac it has a species profile on them under blood parrot.....aka red parrot cichlid. They do dye them by removing the fish's slimecoat and then adding dye to the tank's water. It's very cruel what they do to these fish. They will eventually lose this dyed color. Here's another site to read about them. They go under many names.....jellybean parrots, etc, depending on the lfs. Most of them are these same fish just different colors and names. They are pretty and non aggressive. I have mine in a tank with green severens and they get a long very well.

http://www.geocities.com/parrotcichlid/main.html

Last edited:

Oh Clueless 1

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
I just bought two last weekend... They are so adorable. Atleast in my opinion they are. Mine are still a lil skittish and hiding alot but that should slowly change.

They are just so cute.

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
About 98% of the bloodparrots that are the bright colors are died. Ive seen a few that were like a red and even a green but they were not dyed. Don't buy the died ones but if you would want a regular parrot then that is fine. Alot of people dont like blood parrot and alot on this site dont so most would say dont get any type of bloodparrot. The couple I have had are great fish, good personalitys, not to picky on food and got along with most anything, well except for my big parrot I had. He would beat up anyhting the same size as him or bigger.

lethalp

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
more ????

So the reds ones are dyed or aren't dyed? And if you own parrots where did you buy them? Also how can you tell if they are healthy? I saw some yesterday at my lfs and they were near the bottom of the tank and appeared to be gasping. Some were hiding, but this one didn't look good, it was dark blue? I also saw some in another tank that were the same shape but smaller and sort of weird shaped and they were brown and white striped? ANyone know what they are?

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
parrrot fish are all made from inbreeding and they are not natural, just like the messed up pics of the flowerhorn with no tail on that 1 asian website. they are all hybrids, personally i think their ugly, but some people like them, so ok.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store