Peacock refuses to eat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
I have a mixed african cichlid tank 2 peacocks 1 hap 1 johannii 1 venustus and 1 auratus a few days ago I noticed several of my fish started acting more aggressive first time I'd seen one shimmering the auratus almost completely changed color and the hap and johannii got really bright now one of my peacocks won't eat it has gotten chased a few times but has no wounds I'm not seeing any signs of ich or disease occasionally flashing but they've done that from day one the fish is still swimming normal just not eating

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Any recent additions to the tank or live foods? Just trying to rule out the potential of something parasitic, bacterial, etc.

If the fish's color and condition is good, maybe it's stress and you have to break up lines of sight, change decor around or move stock around. Pretty much all common adventures with an African cichlid tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Male/female mix?

Tank size?

Decor?

IMO, the Venustus will be an issue.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
It's a 70 gallon idk about male female mix I got the peacocks at the same time one is now twice the size of the other no live food usually spiralina pellets and occasionally flakes have given the frozen blood worms a few times the last new addition was a rubber lip pleco about a month ago to deal with the algae i did put a new cave in last week

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's possible the pleco brought in something. Try to keep an eye on the suspect fish's poop. Hard to say at this point if it's an illness or stress from battling over territory.

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
Idk if it's disease the pleco has been in nearly 5 weeks it could be stress I have seen an increase in aggression over the last week I added another cave didn't really help I've got some melafix I'm probably going to put in tomorrow or Monday the hap and the bigger peacock (Not the sick one) got into quite the fight and the big guys fin got shredded I'm really hoping for the best if the small peacock is female it's not opening it's mouth at all it may have spawned idk how to tell the difference

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Melafix is a pretty good general medication from what I've read. I don't like to medicate unless I'm pretty certain what I'm treating for. I have little experience with them. I prefer to up my water changes, feed less and up the temperature a bit. This will generally speed something bacterial along.

I don't do less than 50% weekly water changes on my tanks. On my oscar tank and goldfish tank I dump the water down to the point the fish start to flop over and give me the one eye up.

Reactions: glenngreen

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It probably (or most likely) the aggression. This can stress the fish into not eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store