pearl cichlid babies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apollokeena

AC Members
Feb 19, 2005
sterling hts, michigan
today i discovered that my mating pair of pearl cichlids had babies ( at least 15 ) i've seperated them from the other fish in the tank(100g) i don't know what to do next, what do they eat? should i seperate them from their parents?

HELP

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Geophagus brasiliensis aka Pearlscale Earth Eater and Pearl Cichlid.
I saw your other post regarding your fry, I know/presume now that they were unexpected from reading this thread.

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Some people make me very curious...
"Whats a Pearl cichlid?", like you can't take two minutes to search a common name for a profile and acquire the "Latin" and "aka's" names for a fish.
I sometimes wonder if its lazyness, snobbery, arrogance or whatever :confused: ?

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I hate common names, using latin names is much better. There are several fish that may be called pearl cichlids... and i'd like to know from the poster what species HE has that he is calling a pearl cichlid. I could do a search, but why would I when i could be making an improper assumption?

I've heard Labidochromis pearlmutt called "pearl cichlids" before, and i was just checking. :rolleyes:

But thank you for taking your time to do a search.

-Diana

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
ChileRelleno: Google "pearl cichlids". The first link you get will NOT be to Geophagus brasiliensis. There are in fact at least three species who in common usage can be referred to as "pearl cichlids". Until we hear more from apollokeena, we won't know which he/she is talking about.

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Harry Tolen and *LuvMyKribs*,
I stand advised and enlightened, points well taken, thank you for helping me to further understand the intricacy of ID'ing species.
My searches have been too limited, I need to broaden my scope, two different species profile lists gave me the same result for the common name and hence I ran with the latin Geophagus brasiliensis.

Sincerely and Humbly,

ChileRelleno

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
ChileRelleno: thanks for doing the double-check. As has been mentioned, the problem with common names is that they are so darned...common. From the number of fry mentioned I might assume pearlmutts, but from general availability I'd be more inclined to guess brasiliensis. On actual "pearliness", however, I'd go with P. polleni. Oh, the suspense...

tlaug

AC Members
Feb 14, 2005
Latin or common names? :thud: they ask what to feed fry and how to take care of the fry. I usual seperate my fry to a tank of their own and then feed egg york paste to the fry for the first week then I start feeding finely cushed flakes and drop in a shrimp pellet or two. Do water changes every other day 25% and good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store