Penn-plax 1000 problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
This morning when I got up I could hear the filter running but it wasn’t pushing any water. Like it lost its suction.
I took it apart and removed the impeller bc it was a bit loud and reset it.
another thing I hate is the way this thing primes. Such a pita.
finally got it primed and it’s working but anyone that has one know why it may have happened?
Luckily I keep a smaller hob on too so it was a total filter less situation but I’m planning on buying some expensive fish and would have been kissed if I lost them because of this.

guess you can’t edit titles. Stupid autocorrect

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got a penn-plax 1500 model that I've had for a month or two. Sometimes the trickiest prime is the very first one, when the hoses don't have water in them. Other than that I never have an issue priming any of my canisters. I fill them with as much water as I can before I pop the tops on them. At best I'll have to pump the primer 1-2x or tilt and tip the unit a few times.

My Penn-plax 1500 is being used on a tank that's only a few inches off the floor as well, so the top of the canister is only about 6" lower than the water level in the tank it's hooked up to. It does shoot air bubbles every so often, but it moves a lot of water. Mine has nothing but 5 trays of coarse foam in it.

When she's running, try closing the inlet or outlet valve for a bit to see if that purges out any trapped air.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Trapped air isn’t a problem. I’m not getting air bubbles.
problem was waking up walking out to the tank and not seeing any flow even though I could hear the filter working.
move researched and others have said after 2 weeks theirs also lost suction and mine was at 2 weeks. Just weird.
Will see if it happens again.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You did mention having problems priming, which is indeed a trapped air problem and what I was getting at.

Let us know how you make out.

Reactions: IceH2O
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store