Penn-Plax Cascade 1500 canister.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I picked one of these up online for around $135 for my newly setup 55gal. I had twin AquaClear 70 rattle-masters on it, but 2 of them on one tank annoy the heck out of me. I really wanted an Oase Biomaster, but I've already spent about $300 on aquaria over the past few months with the Eheim 2215 purchase, the new weather loaches w/ new 55g, etc..etc.

A co-worker of mine has been raving about his Penn-Plax canisters for a few years so I gave one a shot.

I like it! I used coarse sponge in each of the 5 trays. The new 55gal it's used on is only a few inches off the floor and the unit still primes and takes off pretty easily with some prime button pushing. It moves a lot of water. All the fittings and plastics feel more substantial than something like a Sunsun and inline with the recent Eheim classic I purchased.

Here's a pic of the new Cascade 1500 next to my ~8yr/old Marineland C-360 (for the upper tank) so you can get a feel for the size of it. The C360 is a pretty big and heavy unit that holds a good 3gal of water. About the same as the Cascade.

It's a lot of canister for the $.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Cool! I've not used one but I have a friend who swears by the Penn-Plax cannisters. You'll have to let us now how it goes.

I hate to date myself here, but the last Penn-Plax product I used was a U/G filter about a hundred years ago, when HOBs were still expensive enough to prevent a high school kid on a budget from buying one and U/G filters were still widely used.

WYite

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hate to date myself here, but the last Penn-Plax product I used was a U/G filter about a hundred years ago, when HOBs were still expensive enough to prevent a high school kid on a budget from buying one and U/G filters were still widely used.

WYite
Oh for sure on that! I too ran penn-plax UGF along with a Dynaflo power filter (HOB) back around 1980 on my 10g and 20L's. You were REAL fancy if you had a fluorescent hood!

Reactions: Wyomingite

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Oh for sure on that! I too ran penn-plax UGF along with a Dynaflo power filter (HOB) back around 1980 on my 10g and 20L's. You were REAL fancy if you had a fluorescent hood!
Amen, brother, lol. All my original tanks, used or new, came with incandescent hoods and it was 1990 before I finally got them all converted to fluorescents.

WYite

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store