Petco $1 Per Gallon Sale

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
So I picked up two 40 gallon breeder tanks yesterday. One will be my new sump. The other a refugium.

What is the best way to connect the fuge to the sump? The two tanks will be level and parallel to each other under the new stand I am making.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If you're married to your current design then it's best to feed the fuge with a separate line which you can control. You don't want or need large amounts of flow through a fuge. You certainly don't want total system flow going through it. Many problem algaes tend to grow in the areas of the system with the lowest flow, and it's preferable that that area be out of sight. You could use a line right off the drain, either dedicated or teed off. In any case a valve is in order. Or you can use a powerhead to move water from the sump to the fuge, which might or might not require a valve. Connect the two tanks by bulkheading them both on the end taht faces the other, a couple inches above the bottom of the tanks. Position the holes so that one is toward the front and one is towards the back. Putting them directly opposite requires fairly exact placement to get the plumbing in. Put a 90 on each and connect the two tanks either with pvc or tubing. 3/4" bulkheads are plenty big unless the main tank is in the 200 gal range. 1" would be called for then and wouldn't hurt on a smaller system.The optimal design would be to have the fuge mouted above the main tank, and to have it overflow into there. The feed water can come from the main pump, or a dedicated pump drawing from either the sump or main tank. It maximizes critter survival, since a certain % will be blenderized if they have to pass through a pump on the way to the display. It's not a huge difference, but if it's feasible from a construction standpoint, it might be worth it.

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Thanks SubRosa. I wish that I had a fish room for the sump and fuge to go in. Then I could stack them up. My plan is to make a new stand that is 8 feet long to go along the back wall in my living room. My display tank will be on top of course and all the way to the one end of the stand. The tank is a 90 gallon 4 foot tank. I will put the two 40 gallon breeders underneath. So, I guess they will have to be connected by the bulkheads.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store